Kerry's Problem

Nemont

Kerry's 'Anybody But Bush' trap
By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist | April 20, 2004

I RECENTLY received a screaming piece of fund-raising mail paid for by John Kerry for President. It was on the letterhead of Democratic political consultant James Carville.

The first page read in part:

''If there are limits to how far the Bush political machine is willing to go to savage an opponent, you could strain your eyes trying to find them.

''In 2000 they were willing to challenge John McCain's fitness for office and his commitment to veterans _ even though he spent years as a prisoner in Vietnam.

''In 2002 they had no compunction about challenging the patriotism of Senator Max Cleland and showing his photo next to those of Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden _ even though he lost three limbs while serving his country in Vietnam ...

''We're up against a bunch that has $150 million in the bank and no shame when it comes to using it to distort the truth. Why are Bush and the Republicans so desperate to mislead people about John Kerry's record and impugn his reputation?

''Because they know that, in a fair Kerry versus Bush contest, we win - and they lose.''

What was striking about the letter was that the entire first page was about how Bush misleads, but not a single sentence about how Kerry would lead. Even as Bush flounders in self-righteousness, you have to wonder if the ABB (Anybody But Bush) crowd is lulling themselves into a reverse trap. Letters like this make you wonder if ABB also means All But Blind.

The reality is there is a core on folks on the right who believe Bush is an appointed guardian of unilateral American might. There is a core of people on the left who believe Bush is still not their president. But if it was so obvious to Americans outside the elite east and the Bay Area that Bush was a scoundrel, then the polls should not be merely even - Kerry should be ahead by a landslide.

Further evidence of how the Kerry folks are relying heavily on the ABB game was the campaign's recent ''release'' of something called the ''Middle-Class Misery Index.'' By the time you get done reading it, you'd think we're in the second Great Depression.

Story

[ 04-22-2004, 15:30: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Bush / Satan 2004

I think you are going to see one of the greatest politcal implosions of a candidate for President ever. Kerry is toast. If the dems were smart they would pull him at the convention and run some one like Edwards or Clark.

Misery index? Who thinks the crap up :D :D :D The only miserable persons I know are Buzz and Elkgunner :D :D

LOL Fec...
That's a good find and very good points Nemont, I think this whole thing is a hoot, we have so many on the left that are beating their drums, running tired old cliche's and trying to get the "norm" of what they had grown used to, back into being again. Fortunatly, they are actually the minority, no matter how loud they scream, kick and carry on. This country wasn't founded on such nonsence, maybe we will be getting back to basics and back on line on whats actually important for this country...

John Kerry is durable, unflappable and determined. He works to be in the right place at the right time, and often is. He has no illusions about his own star power or charisma. He is a wooden campaigner, and his 20 years in the Senate have left him unable to see that bragging about legislative maneuvers is the last thing you want to do. Kerry explained to supporters recently that he’d voted for the $87 billion before he’d voted against it. In his mind, evidently, he was merely explaining (with a mordant sense of humor) how the Senate works. But now that line is the centerpiece of a BC04 attack ad. Kerry told financial supporters in New York the other week that his objective, for now, was to “preserve my acceptability.” That’s a pretty low standard — but one he won’t meet if that is his only goal. So far, his strategy has amounted mostly to: Vote for me, I’m not Bush. That’s not enough, especially if Kerry is seen by most voters the way the BC04 ad portrays him: as a flip-flopping manipulative insider.
Howard Fineman is Newsweek’s chief political correspondent and an NBC News analyst.

CLICK ME FOR THE WHOLE STORY

[ 04-22-2004, 15:20: Message edited by: Nemont ]

I dunno NeMont. What you say makes sense, but i see Kerry's numbers rising and he's even ahead of Bush in some polls.

What I really dont understand is why people say Kerry is gonna take their guns. Is there some proof that he is anti-gun? or is it a GOP tactic too make all democrats out to be anti-gun liberal fruitcakes?

Rockydog,

I will I could take credit for this but these are not my words. Please click on link provided for the entire story. The polls I have seen show Bush leading Kerry and gaining right now. The only poll that matters in the one on the 2nd Tues. in Nov.

Nemont

Back