Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Kennetreks killing me!!!

Hmmmm. I have pairs of every model that Kenetrek makes. I've never had to really "break them in." Mostly put them on and start hiking.

I have fat "Fred Flinstone" feet. Not sure if that is the difference. Just this week I probably put 25 miles on my Hardscrabble Lights, uphill and downhill, loaded and empty, walking and running. I was just thinking the other day about how great they fit for the kind of trails and loads are required for my hunting.

Randy, When you say you never really had to break them in... are they pretty much an out of the box ready to go boot? One of the things I had read were 50 mile break in time.

I ask because my Kenetrek boots I had on order has been cancelled. I had ordered a pair of the hardscrabbles in 11.5 wide... early season hunting especially in the missouri breaks this year. I got an email from the online retailer stating Kenetrek doesn't have the size and wont have it until the end of July so I am wondering if I will be cutting it too close to hunting season or if I still will have enough time to break in and make sure I have the right boot.

Randy, When you say you never really had to break them in... are they pretty much an out of the box ready to go boot? One of the things I had read were 50 mile break in time.

I ask because my Kenetrek boots I had on order has been cancelled. I had ordered a pair of the hardscrabbles in 11.5 wide... early season hunting especially in the missouri breaks this year. I got an email from the online retailer stating Kenetrek doesn't have the size and wont have it until the end of July so I am wondering if I will be cutting it too close to hunting season or if I still will have enough time to break in and make sure I have the right boot.

You are probably going to get different replies from each person you ask. They fit my feet so good, I've never really had to bother with a "break in" period. In 2010 I stopped by, got professionally fitted for a pair of Hardscrabble Lights, put the conditioner on the leather, walked around the house a bit, wore them on the ride to New Mexico, then went on an elk hunt in the Gila, putting on 8-12 miles per day over lava rocks. Even ended up packing out a bull with heavy loads over that stuff that required multiple trips. Not a single blister.

Stopped by one day and got fitted for a pair of non-insulated Mountain Extremes. Let the treatment dry on the leather and went out for a week of bear hunting in the mountains. Again, not a single issue. My camera crew all got fitted for the same thing, with the same results.

I often wonder how much professional fitting/sizing has to do with people who have discomfort with a boot; any brand of high quality boot. I look at some of the people working at a national sporting goods store chain and most of them aren't at the top of the list I would go to for advice on my outdoor gear. I have been fitted for other boots and shoes at those stores and usually have been told to get a half-size smaller than what I am fitted for with Kenetreks, based on the folks at Kenetrek fitting me.

I am sure there will be people who have a different experience, due to foot shape, not getting fitted properly, or some other issue. For me, it has not been an issue. Yeah, any good boot is a little stiffer to start with, but in short order, they start to adapt to the physics of your gait.

Thanks Randy, this helps me because I was leaning away from kenetrek due to numerous reports of tough break-in. I agree there are numerous foot types but I would guess that most people order boots online anymore vs custom fitting leading to a slightly improper fit. Now I hope to make it to Bozeman in a few weeks to get fitted for some Kenetreks and give them a shot.

I have Lowa boots, sheep hunters (I think). I love them, but I do have a bit of trouble if I don't wear them every month.
I think my feet become accustomed to the cheap shoes/boots I wear the rest of the year. So the first time I put them on my feet get tired quickly. If I wear them out the door my feet are usually fine by the time I hit the dirt.

Thanks for the info Randy---

I actually found a store in Billings today that carried Kenetrek... I ended up buying a pair of the Mountain Extreme non insulated and man are they comfortable. I wore them about 4 hours today and they fit great. Now I am glad I didnt get the other pair from the online vendor as these were a different size...

I never thought I would have spent so much money on shoes--- but in the short little while I have had these there is no comparison to the Danners I have owned in the past.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back