Kayak Hunting

Huntin_GI

Question:

Has anyone ever attempted duck hunting out of a kayak? I have the opportunity to pick up a couple of used hobie pedal drives for less than $500 and I am trying to justify the purchase. I have done a few ocean fishing trips outta the hobie's and they are amazing. Also, anyone ever messed with a float trip hunt??? What was your experience? Good, Bad, ass pain?
Lets hear it!

Last edited:
I've only hunted out of a sit in style kayak. I basically used it as a layout blind and not for a float trip. I made a seat so I could recline and covered up with burlap and cut some grass from the marsh I was hunting. The only downside was that I wore my waders and my feet were cramped up in the end. A longer kayak or not wearing waders would fix my issues. I am planning on getting camo netting instead of the burlap this year. I only bought it because it was cheap and I wasn't sure how the kayak would work out.

I own several inflatable kayaks. 2 single person kayaks ( I keep an extra to loan out ) Had two 2 person kayaks but sold the extra one. Just bought a large 2 person plus gear for extended excursions, I plan on using it on Adak in January and for my POW black bear hunt in May.
I've never used a sit-on-top kayak so I don't know how stable they are. Mine are very stable but difficult to shoot ducks from when the waves are rocking it, same as a layout I suppose.

Attachments

• 20141129_082105.jpg
    20141129_082105.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 258
  • 20160125_150316.jpg
    20160125_150316.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 256
I own several inflatable kayaks. 2 single person kayaks ( I keep an extra to loan out ) Had two 2 person kayaks but sold the extra one. Just bought a large 2 person plus gear for extended excursions, I plan on using it on Adak in January and for my POW black bear hunt in May.
I've never used a sit-on-top kayak so I don't know how stable they are. Mine are very stable but difficult to shoot ducks from when the waves are rocking it, same as a layout I suppose.

What brand have you been using? I've been looking at some of the 2 person inflatable kayaks and thought about looking into taking one to POW if I am drawn again. I think you would be able to sneak in under the 50lb bag limit with several of the 2 person kayaks I've been looking at.

What brand have you been using? I've been looking at some of the 2 person inflatable kayaks and thought about looking into taking one to POW if I am drawn again. I think you would be able to sneak in under the 50lb bag limit with several of the 2 person kayaks I've been looking at.

Under 50 lbs. ? Yes & No. It's under 50# if you only weigh the kayak, but after including the pump & paddles you're over 50#. If you can get away with just 2 checked bags after splitting the weight, good on you. However I doubt it can be done. I plan on 3 checked bags. With Alaska Visa card the 1st is free, 2nd is $25, 3rd is $75. Overweight & Oversize fee is $75 so your 3rd bag might as well be 99#. I have done this flying to Adak and St. Paul Island. I'm looking to buy an SKB Golf Case for my guns and pack it with waders and clothes, rather than flying with a gun case that only carries a gun and a few small items.
The new kayak I just bought to replace my ARK ( African River Kraft ) that recently gave up the ghost, is a Sea Eagle 420XP
I really like the drop stitched floor that makes this as stiff as a surf board, no sagging. The older models don't have the drop stitched floor. Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ardGNdwZ0aQ

Grew up float hunting the blackwater rivers of SE North Carolina out of pirogue type boats; pointed on both ends, flat bottomed with about 2.5" of rocker. These rivers are very crooked and great for jump shooting ducks or setting up decoys in a slough and the boats are very good for that. They handle quite similar to a kayak, just a bit heavier due the type of construction. I have a 2 man as well as an 11' one man which I use most often. There can be a great deal of pleasure derived from float hunting as long as you have somewhere to haul out without someone getting their knickers in a twist.

Looks like this is enough to settle it. These kayaks are being sold at 75$ a piece and run 2500$ brand new. I do believe I will jump all over this DIY project waiting to happen and will let yall know how it goes.

I have a hobie pro angler and love it! I can stand up when fishing. I used it once to access a lake for antelope. There is plenty of room on the back to haul an animal plus camp and other gear. One thing about the mirage drive hobie is you may either have to take it out and paddle if it is super shallow or rocky (less than 8 or 10" of water). I can really cover water with the mirage drive. In fact, a lot of guys use them in the open ocean. If doing a float you may consider a pack raft. Many of them weigh only a few pounds and can haul pretty hefty loads....also decent in whitewater. $500 for a hobie is an incredible deal. The fins themselves run over $500.

I have a 12' Nucanoe that I've shot ducks out of a few times. It's very stable. I can shoot and cast my fly rod while standing up, I really dislike doing either of those from a sitting position.

I've hunted for several years with a 14' old town predator sit in. It is big enough for a lab, 12-18 decoys, and a fat me. I used PVC, die cut blind material and clip on fast grass to fashion a blind. Pretty light, super stable, and easy to maneuver. Haven't done any river float trips as they are challenging with MN's laws. You'll have fun with it, I know I have.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back