Caribou Gear

Just Pup Training

Ike

Just Puppy Training :D

A few years back, I took a buddy out bear chasing to see his first bear. He had several yearling hounds, and it was time to put them on bear. We went up a canyon and got a pretty good rig with my old strike dogs on top of the box, so I stopped, dropped the tailgate and started to ship them.

“I’d like to see the track before I send a dog,” remarked my hunting partner.

“Sure thing,” I said…..let’s go look see.

We both went over across a wash on the east side of that canyon and started poking around. We did eventually find one nice boar track in the dust coming up from a stream, approximately a hundred yards or so from the road.

“You satisfied,” I asked?

Upon arriving back at the truck, I unsnapped all five of my hounds and they went out on a roar, crossed the creek and struck, turned the track to the south and continued on up the mountain. The race went to our right, up the hill, then back to our left. That’s about when they jumped the bear. With blinding speed, the race went back to out right and stopped near the top of that mountain.

“Let’s go,” I remarked. And away we went with cameras to see my hunting partner’s first bear in the tree. Several hundred yards below the tree we stumbled into his young dogs cold-trailing. Their direction was toward the bear tree and they made the tree just ahead of us. We found a nice chocolate boar in a huge fur tree. No reason for him to leave.

Getting under the tree, I threw my backpack on the ground and started to get the camera out. About then, that old boar started down the tree head first. I guess he’d been treed before and didn’t like dogs pulling hair. When he got just above the dogs, he took a huge jump and tried pretty hard to clear them, but my five hounds were on the wood heavy to meet him and rolled over backwards latching onto his belly and butt.

Down the hill that pile of bear and hound went which appeared to be one unit, through and over the blow down and snags, until it was only a memory for each of us. I explained, hurry, let us climb out--quick. So we did. The race went clear back down by the road and south nearly two canyons before turning back our way.

That boar stopped to suck air near the top in a stand of timber and you could hear the dogs just roar. Then he busted the brush and climbed out through the pinyon trees over the top which allowed us to watch the whole thing at about 800 yards. What a hoot for a guy’s first bear.

The Wolf Pack blew the air out of him again on the next ridge, less than a mile over the top. Upon our arrival, the mature boar was more willing to accept our presents. We did take a few shots for the photo album and then snapped all eight dogs for the long trip out.

I don’t suppose there is anything like taking a newbie after bear and having things work out so well.

Yall Keep'em Treed! :cool:
Ike

Attachments

• puppyboar.jpg
    puppyboar.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 56
Thanks T Bone

Thanks T Bone,

Yes, I've worked really hard for many years to produce a pack of lion and bear dogs that'll do it all. My first motive was for still photos, then to hunt clients, and now to shoot video and just enjoy the dogs. One of my hounds, LionHeart, has gone on to her rewards under that big tree in the sky last winter but two pups from her are just getting started to take her place. It's fun now, to look back at the road from pups to bear and lion trailing machines and realize the miles and dollars it takes to get there.

Keep'em Treed!
Ike :confused:

I'm a hunting dog fan as well. Although I chase a little less violent prey......I have a little GSP that is dynamite on the birds and a great family dog.

One question for you on your dogs and your care for them. This sounds stupid.....but do you ever brush their teeth? I went into the vet to update vaccinations and he chastized me for her poor dental care. She has the beginning stages of gum disease....My attitude has always been, its a dog. Dog's have bad breath. dogs don't get their teeth brushed. Any experience there?

I'm guessing the vet just wanted to get some more cash flow going (estimate teeth cleaning and treatment for $150/month.

T-Bone

Your dogs teeth can become a very serious problem as if the teeth or gums become infected it can literaly take the life out of your dog.
I have not brushed my dogs teeth but I try to get them bones both real and milk bones just something to help get that tarter buildup down .
I have seen dogs that ended up with some serious mouth problems that could not be hunted for a time.
Another thing is to inspect your dogs mouth regularily as you should they rest of the dogit can keep small problem from becoming big ones . Take care.

Pork Flavored Rawhide Links

I buy those Pork flavored rawhide links from Walmart and give my dogs those everyday day as a treat. I'll agree with Smiley, a real bone now and then probably goes along ways toward keeping their teeth in good healt. I also buy the dog biscuits as well and swap them out with the rawhide links?????

the ikester :rolleyes:

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back