Caribou Gear Tarp

Judging Antelope

alwayshunting

My wife, dad and I are going to WY this year for antelope this year. Not looking to find a monster because it is a second choice unit but am trying to get a better feel for judging antelope. Back home I have only been able to draw doe tags and we have not had a season for four years now. Here are some not so great photos of a goat I saw today and wanted to see what people thought of him.

With our first antelope hunt coming up this fall I would love for my son to get a chance at a buck like the one in your pictures. A shooter for us any day of the hunt.

Trophies are relative. This buck will technically not score all that high; low 60's while 80 is considered a true stud. Go to your local sporting stores and really look at the mounts if possible. Generically speaking the ears are 6 inches long and the eye is 2. If you were to stand the ear up along the horn, the base of the
cutter should start at or above the ear tip. 13 plus inch horns are a strong starting point. Remember the curl of the horn can add up. Use the eye to gauge mass and cutter length. 3 inch cutters are a good start. An added bonus can be ivory tips if your lucky. That's a nice buck and one that would be easy to be proud of. Have fun with this hunt. The rut is generically end of August. They live by their sight, stated to have 8 power magnification and 270 degree fov. Curiosity killed the cat but also the speed goat, if a stalk seems to be a bust flag a few feet of tp off a stick and get ready.

The darn things are pretty tough to judge.

I tried to learn how before killing one. Couldn't do it very accurately. Now, after seeing a number of them live and shortly thereafter on the ground, I'm much better at it.

I don't have any special tips for you. Only that first timers will invariably over-estimate the size of a goat by quite a bit. Maybe let your dad or wife zap one before you do so you can see just how much ground shrinkage occurs.

I'd say just go on a hunt, have fun with your family, and shoot what looks to be a mature buck. Start scoring them once you've killed several.

Check out the Pronghorn Guide Service site. They have a couple of really good dvds on judging antelope.

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely have a good time as the score does not measure the experience, but it is nice to have an idea. I have seen quite a few mounts but just have a hard time seeing what I am judging in the field. I was guessing some where close to 70, but would be shooting him regardless. I just finished reading Mike Eastmans antelope book, but most of his scoring involves 80+ inch bucks.

good buck..... not a rifle shooter though.... not much mass, his cutters look good cuz he has no mass... height is normal, maybe 12" with the little curl he has, good luck, take's alot of looking at antelope and measuring one's that have been shot already...
Matt

good buck..... not a rifle shooter though.... not much mass, his cutters look good cuz he has no mass... height is normal, maybe 12" with the little curl he has, good luck, take's alot of looking at antelope and measuring one's that have been shot already...
Matt

I have to go hunting with you and shoot the ones you pass up...lol :D

Matt

Even then some struggle with the measurements, even length.

just sayin'...

I feel the Pronghorn in the picture is a shooter. I am also going to be hunting Pronghorn this year after applying for 12 years. I went to the Boone and Crockett site and they have a great assessment tool for judging goats. Good luck.

Here is another North Dakota buck. Not many around and the ones that are here are pretty brave.

Close up, pretty thin.

When I first started taking the pictures I didn't even notice the fox in front of the herd in the first pic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back