Yeti GOBOX Collection

John Craighead, grizzly bear conservationist – obituary

MoGreen

John Craighead, grizzly bear conservationist – obituary

This is a great read. Beginning in the late 1950s, he and his brother began tracking griz in Yellowstone. In 1971, he and his brother warned Yellowstone that if they closed the dumps, the bears would become problems. The arguing led them to being kicked out of Yellowstone but they were right. The bears started harassing campers and the park had to kill so many of them that they almost became extinct. He lived to 100.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2016/10/06/john-craighead-grizzly-bear-conservationist/

12 years of studying and working in griz country and neither him nor his brother were eaten! amazing! Didn't work out quite so well for tim treadwell and his girlfriend.

I think the point of their argument is not that the bears would be a problem without dumps, but rather that they became problems because they had been conditioned and lazy due to peoples lack of understanding. After the decline in population, it rebounded as the bears learned how to find legitimate food sources. This is why there are no open dump sites in bear country anymore...no longer a problem. I bet if we tightened up some of the food stamp rules people might similarly adapt:hump:

12 years of studying and working in griz country and neither him nor his brother were eaten! amazing! Didn't work out quite so well for tim treadwell and his girlfriend.

I think the point of their argument is not that the bears would be a problem without dumps, but rather that they became problems because they had been conditioned and lazy due to peoples lack of understanding. After the decline in population, it rebounded as the bears learned how to find legitimate food sources. This is why there are no open dump sites in bear country anymore...no longer a problem. I bet if we tightened up some of the food stamp rules people might similarly adapt:hump:

Exactly!

I wonder how much of it was adaptation and how much of it was immigration. The non-lazy bears who were used to fighting for their food come in, work hard, out-compete/kill the conditioned and lazy bears. The lazy bears die of starvation or get eaten.

I'm only partly playing on the analogy. Part of my question is serious. I wonder if the NPS and/or wildlife officials studied that question. If they " had to kill so many of them that they almost became extinct" then it seems the bears did not adapt; they were killed. They probably didn't have a choice but that would mess up any study.

Now, back to the analogy . . . You'd think Trump would support immigration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back