J.R. and R.J. do Montana

jryoung

Went to Montana with my buddy R.J. (yes, it was R.J. and J.R. hunting together) he had never hunted elk before and had an opening in his schedule to take advantage of. R.J.’s day job is an outfitter here in CA primarily for salmon in spring, summer and early fall then waterfowl through the winter. He sprinkles in a little hog and turkey hunting as well. The pictures you may recall of my wife holding up large salmon, striped bass and or ling cod are all from the boat R.J. is the captain of. I was glad to not make this trip solo and felt a little extra pressure due to the “role reversal” if only on a casual level as I read the tax code for a living.

So we headed off into elk country.

An hour into it, I think there may have been a moment where he was reconsidering his decision as we climbed.

We saw promising sign

When we got to the top it was past bedtime for the elk so we made coffee.

And relaxed in the sunshine

And took obligatory gun pics.

As the sun reached closer to the horizon we dropped off the hillside and waited like lionesses on the Serengeti…but our prey never showed.

So we walked off the mountainside.

Day two looked more like elk season, but our prey did not show.

R.J. noted he was hoping for some fine table fare, so I said “do you want to shoot a cow”, he said yes, so I called an audible and we moved units.
It looked elky…and with the temp down 30 degrees from the first day, he may have rethought his decision once again.

As we stalked through the thick timber, crossing elk tracks less than 12 hours old he said, “I think we’re in the right spot at the wrong time. Then, seconds later, this happened.

Which led to this.

We headed to his buddies house in Divide and things got really offal.

Our backs were strapped and we ate our hearts content

The final day we headed back to our original location and it looked elky.

We spotted two respectable raghorns (at least for us out of state hunters on a 4 day bender in Montana) at 27,360 inches away (that’s 760 yards for you playing along at home) and while we mocked TV shows that would have started shooting we decided I would fly home with an elk tag.

R.J.’s buddy called asked if we wanted to fill our deer tags. We said yes, dressed in our most rugged, technical, ultralight, high performance, overpriced state of the art camouflage and sat over an alfalfa field.….and I shot my biggest whitetail buck to date. He scored, 0. I think it was a transvestite buck, no antlers identifying it’s sex, but he had hardware between his legs. I felt a little like Crocodile Dundee when he met Gwendolyn at the bar in NYC. It’s okay, he’ll eat fine and that’s what I was after.

We loaded up the truck and called it good.

We finished strong with a light meal in Missoula and met the Great White Goat Hunter.

And now we’re back in CA. I’m doing taxes and R.J. had his clients a limit of ducks before I finished my morning coffee. See you next year Montana

Better be careful, or some jealous people will be advocating laws against having that much fun.

A purple sling? No wonder you didn't kill an elk:D

Congratulations! That elk dinner sure looks good and fresh. How many hours from hoof to plate? I'd love to shoot some scoters someday as well. Great hunt & photos.

They are scoters, I've never done a sea duck hunt with him, but they get a ton of action in the Bay and they are pretty dialed on them. I'm hoping to take my training wheels off after this year of waterfowl hunting, but with so much going on in life and only a few days to hunt ducks a year it really is easy to roll out to a meeting point, get in a blind and wait for the call to shoot.

It was awesome having R.J. pick my brain for a change as I translated everything I saw on the landscape.

The meal was field to belly in about 8 hours.

We spotted two respectable raghorns (at least for us out of state hunters on a 4 day bender in Montana) at 27,360 inches away (that’s 760 yards for you playing along at home) and while we mocked TV shows that would have started shooting we decided I would fly home with an elk tag.

Here is a hint for your next elk hunt....................go ahead and try to get closer for a shot after spotting said bull elk!:D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back