Is the Kifaru Gun Bearer comfortable?

What do you use now?
I use the Stone Glacier one. It has been durable and keeps the rifle 100% out of the way. The downside is that getting it in and out of the carrier is more cumbersome and takes slightly longer.

To me the trade off is worth it, just depends what your priorities are.

I was skeptical but it was very comfortable for me. Much better than a sling falling off your shoulder all the time.

I have the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and want a different way to carry my rifle besides using one of the side pockets. Is it comfortable under the arm?
Yes. Often a bit of work to get it buckled in, but very comfortable. I typically rest my arm on it in a way to keep scope up, but I don't notice it as being a onerous task.

I only used it one day this year and ended up shooting my buck that day. Agree with above, however I will add that with a 20” barrel I kinda started to like where the barrel was as I set my binos on top of it and glassed pretty steadily while standing (I carry without a round in the chamber).

My two complaints are:
1 - where the rifle rubbed my pack was right where the tightening strap for my hip belt was and it kept loosening my hip belt. Need to see if I can adjust the position to alleviate this problem as that did get quite annoying.

2 - I didn’t like how the “rough” part of the Velcro was going to be wrapping all the way around my hip belt. I put a small piece of fabric under it and it was fine. Will like just take a lighter to those bristles if I end up using it full-time. (I have an exo pack and didn’t want the fabric to get roughed up/frayed since they are pricey packs just like your MR).

I have been using mine on my MR Cabinet for 5 or 6 years now, since I started using trekking poles, and am a big fan. Some of the best equipment money I have spent. Using it and trekking poles has made moving about the country safely and more comfortably possible. I carry scope up and with my arms out with the poles don't notice it much.

I used one for one season in Wyoming when I had a torn meniscus and needed both hands for trekking poles. Still have it, but haven't used it since '16, much rather just carry my rifle in my hand.

I used mine last season with the same pack OP has and ultimately didn’t love it. Seemed to work best for me with the scope flipped upside down, which kind of defeated the quick-draw purpose. Otherwise, I had to keep things loose enough that the muzzle would kinda point toward the noggin of anyone walking in front of me on a slight incline. Even without one chambered, not the most comfortable situation. This year I used the skinniest Quake (?) sling they make and that nestles fine between my neck and the shoulder strap without moving much.

Last edited:
I have done the same thing, just wondering if the rest of the folks that love it use it with scope up? Or just embrace the scope down.
I’ve used the gun bearer with every long gun I own - works great. I made a custom lower that I can adjust up and down to get the muzzle at cheekbone height to prevent headlamp glare. Scope down works far better. Adds just a fraction of a second to the quick draw. I practice puling the release, raising the rifle, and racking a round in quick sequence. You have to reach around to grab the grip in the same place you do for shouldering it, but it’s not overly awkward.

Reactions: trb
I have done the same thing, just wondering if the rest of the folks that love it use it with scope up? Or just embrace the scope down.
I have used one for years, elk, pronghorn, mule deer and whitetail hunting... on three different pack systems. I carry with the scope toward my body without issue. I have never even had a rifle try to rotate scope down. Can't imagine how that would happen the way it fits on me.

I use the Stone Glacier one. It has been durable and keeps the rifle 100% out of the way. The downside is that getting it in and out of the carrier is more cumbersome and takes slightly longer.

To me the trade off is worth it, just depends what your priorities are.
I use the stone glacier bottom side and then have both the stone glacier upper and kifaru upper on my stone glacier pack. Long haul sun open country it’s in the stone glacier upper. Most of the time it’s sling under the arm with kifaru upper.

@trb i have embraced the scope under but have a neoprene cover on it.

I've had one for a number of years and have grown quite accustomed to it. The only thing I'd say is that I would not use one with a wood stocked gun that you care about; it'll likely ware the finish pretty heavily where it rubs against the pack. My Kimber Montana's synthetic stock doesn't have any texture left in a section about 4-5" in length from where it rubs, but it has also been packed hundreds of miles in that sling over the years.

I've used the Kifaru for probably 15 years. I like it. Like Snowy said, I've had to replace the upper strap several times. I finally had a buddy sew me a bomb proof one that has lasted for years now. Only complaint I have it that it pulls my shoulder strap forward and by the end of a long day the back of my shoulder starts to ache pretty good.
I'm going to give this one a whirl.

I just j-rigged the stone glacier one onto a different brand pack in about 2 minutes. I like having the barrel out of my line of sight and having my hands free. Not sure I'd love having the barrel in front of me especially when running a head lamp.
I'm sure both systems are good and you could get used to either one. I just wanted to have the rifle secured and out of my line of sight which the SG accomplishes for me. It's actually easy to access so that's a plus.

Mine would flip when I first used it. Not 100% sure what I tweaked to fix it, but I think once I moved the top strap down to where it grabbed the stock it stopped wanting to flip on me. I also started making sure the top strap was tight around the stock.

Reactions: trb
I've used the Kifaru for probably 15 years. I like it. Like Snowy said, I've had to replace the upper strap several times. I finally had a buddy sew me a bomb proof one that has lasted for years now. Only complaint I have it that it pulls my shoulder strap forward and by the end of a long day the back of my shoulder starts to ache pretty good.
I'm going to give this one a whirl.

We have moved to Creative outdoors from Kifaru. It keeps the barrel away from your face. For me not as fast access as the Kifaru but it’s just a practice issue.

We have moved to Creative outdoors from Kifaru. It keeps the barrel away from your face. For me not as fast access as the Kifaru but it’s just a practice issue.
I think a Sling Hook would work as well or better. Add a belt connected pocket for butt stock if desired. Should be able to get out of the Sling Hook much quicker than Silk Sling. And no band of webbing to wear bluing off the barrel. I could never get used to a gun waving around in my face, day or night.

Get this. It is a game-changer. Sooooo much better than having the rifle in front of your face. I don’t know how this company hasn’t blown up. This system is fantastic.

I like mine. Only issue is that it’s not very compatible with carrying a sidearm. I have one holster that attaches to the wasteband of my pack and that didn’t work at all with the gunbearer with both of them n my right hip. This summer I got a Kenai chest holster thinking that would work. It’s better, but the rifle is still banging against the pistol grip a lot.
Definitely love mine, but I have to second this 100%. Doesn’t ride well at all with my side arm. Considered moving the pistol to the other side of hip belt and attach for cross draw. Other than that though, when not packing my pistol, it’s very comfortable and functional. Didn’t know if I’d like the under arm carry but it ended up fairly natural.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back