MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Is Switching Packs Worth It?

oldillini

Scheduled for a 2017 elk hunt in CO during the 2nd rifle season. Prior hunts were with outfitter where we used horse daily to get to hunting spots with minimal spot & stalk. This trip we will take horses to drop camp and then hiking daily for spot and stalk, but returing to the drop camp every evening. I have a Eberlestock Blue Widow that has seen minimal usage on the prior hunts, just because of the style of hunting. Have been giving thought as to switching to a MR Metcalf, SC Solo or Kuiu Pro 3200 in order to save a little weight. Do you think it's worth the $$ to make a switch? The Blue Widow is plenty big enough but does weigh 2-4 lbs more than the others.

It all depends on how many miles you are going to put on with the pack. I switched from an Eberlestock J34 to a SG Solo and it was worth it to me. I've carried that pack several hundred miles over the last couple years so it has been well worth it to me. The pack carries weight better and is 3 pounds lighter. Makes a big difference since I use it as a day pack 90% of the time.

I don't think you will notice the weight difference unless you drop down to the SG or Kuiu.

Just as much as the weight, is the bulk.

I think it really depends on whether you are going to use the pack or not... if you are packing out by horse and only really use your bag for carrying the essentials I would just get a light daypack. Where the SG really is going to outshine the Eberlestock is in the pack out.

I think it really depends on whether you are going to use the pack or not... if you are packing out by horse and only really use your bag for carrying the essentials I would just get a light daypack. Where the SG really is going to outshine the Eberlestock is in the pack out.

yup

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back