Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Iowa Teasers

Muskeez

Great site by the way, glad I found it: Well, I am in NW Iowa, not in the famous southern part of the state... I still have a farm to hunt that I get free permission for becuase our kids went to school together and I butter them up throughout the year with fresh walleyes and perch... We don't grow as many big deer up here, I believe mostly because our woodlots are smaller and easy to drive the deer through during the gun seasons to an army of orange waiting on the other end.. Anyway, the neighbors and I have been doing our own version of QDM I guess and it seems to be paying off. If I get to see even a few of these during bow season I will be thrilled. Good luck to all, especially those that are paying the outrageous price for non-res tags in Iowa. Be sure to leave plenty of $ in small town Iowa, (most of us appreciate it)

Attachments

• Bad Boys (5).jpg
    Bad Boys (5).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 406
  • Mega 8 (4)[1].jpg
    Mega 8 (4)[1].jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 408
  • Tall 9 (4)[1].jpg
    Tall 9 (4)[1].jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 413
  • TEX (9).jpg
    TEX (9).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 413
me neither! maybe this will finally be my year... thanks for the welcome!

Very nice! Any one of those pictured would be a best for me. Please don't use the term "Hit List" though... ;)

Welcome to Hunttalk!

I'd be losing sleep over that top left guy, wow.

How big are your deer body wise over there? Any approximation on what a mature buck would weigh?

Nice work on the QDM Muskeez. Do you do any fishing on Spirit Lake for thsoe walleyes and pearch?

>A mature IA dude ought to come in ~ 200 lbs dressed. (I grew up south of Muskeez in SW IA.)

I'd be losing sleep over that top left guy, wow.

How big are your deer body wise over there? Any approximation on what a mature buck would weigh?

I agree with putnmtosleep, 200lbs. for a good buck. I've seen one county record that was right at 300lb in that area. Cornfed!

Yeah right at 200ish for a good buck.

Muskeez - My closest area that I hunt often is 3 West of Sutherland and 3-4 South. I am trying to do manage there as well.

ddj

I'm hoping some of those will end up under my tree stand this year, I'm thinking they may travel a little more this year with the crops probably coming out earlier than normal.Best of luck to you? You hunt out west at all?

Weight? A few years ago we weighed a 3 yr. old , 125" buck that my son shot. It was 175 lbs. field dressed, if I remember right, so ya, a big mature buck should break 200. Our version of QDM may be frowned on, but my theory is this...shoot does when you need the meat, shoot an extra one for fun, :) and eat it too of course. Only shoot a buck if it is something that is a personal best and that you would be proud to mount. (yes, we mounted my sons 125"), otherwise, we just don't shoot a buck, period. UNLESS it's a kid. My son, and a nephew have each shot their first little basket racks off this property, and it was a BIG deal to them. I don't see any shame in that. It makes great memories for all of us, and my theory is "God will make more" :) The thrill of a kid shooting his first buck far outweighs the thrill of me MAYBE seeing it or even shooting it when it's 150". We have 3 nephews and a neighbor kid to take this year. Hope to post a pic of one of them with one of these bucks!

I fish Spirit and West/East Okoboji a lot, but probably spend just as many hours on the waters of South Dakota. Some incredible walleye and smallmouth bass fishing there on the MO river and also in the NE corner of the state.

Ya, the 2 big bucks together were showing up regularly, but at night....until I spent a day banging equipment around putting in foodplots in early August,.. haven't seen them since. Hoping they are just across the fence and will have to chase their girlfriends through my neighborhood! Crazy thing is, most years I get a couple big ones like these, but never see them on the hoof and even rarely on the cameras after mid Sept. - I have probably 6 more deer on cam this year that are close to these, so I'm hoping that at least a few will show themselves during the season.

I have never hunted out west. We did the family vacation out there this year and I think my eyes were on the antelope and muleys more than the road. A big game hunt out west of some kind has always been a dream of mine. I may start small next year, and try Antelope in SD, NE, or WY, then see what happens. I would only use bow or muzzleloader, just personal preference and I don't own a big rifle anyway. I doubt there is anywhere to still get such tags this late in the year?

Thanks for the welcomes, and best wishes on the bucks.

"its just good to get out"
-CF

Thanks, nice to know how big the deer are when looking at racks like that.

That's really close to what our whitetail are. I've weighed a bunch of 4-5 year old bucks, and hanging weight (meat and bone) they're almost always between 115-130 pounds. I figure that's 230-260 live weight.

It would be really fun to have a piece of property you can control harvest on like that.

Weight? A few years ago we weighed a 3 yr. old , 125" buck that my son shot. It was 175 lbs. field dressed, if I remember right, so ya, a big mature buck should break 200. Our version of QDM may be frowned on, but my theory is this...shoot does when you need the meat, shoot an extra one for fun, :) and eat it too of course. Only shoot a buck if it is something that is a personal best and that you would be proud to mount. (yes, we mounted my sons 125"), otherwise, we just don't shoot a buck, period. UNLESS it's a kid. My son, and a nephew have each shot their first little basket racks off this property, and it was a BIG deal to them. I don't see any shame in that. It makes great memories for all of us, and my theory is "God will make more" :) The thrill of a kid shooting his first buck far outweighs the thrill of me MAYBE seeing it or even shooting it when it's 150". We have 3 nephews and a neighbor kid to take this year. Hope to post a pic of one of them with one of these bucks!

I fish Spirit and West/East Okoboji a lot, but probably spend just as many hours on the waters of South Dakota. Some incredible walleye and smallmouth bass fishing there on the MO river and also in the NE corner of the state.

Ya, the 2 big bucks together were showing up regularly, but at night....until I spent a day banging equipment around putting in foodplots in early August,.. haven't seen them since. Hoping they are just across the fence and will have to chase their girlfriends through my neighborhood! Crazy thing is, most years I get a couple big ones like these, but never see them on the hoof and even rarely on the cameras after mid Sept. - I have probably 6 more deer on cam this year that are close to these, so I'm hoping that at least a few will show themselves during the season.

I have never hunted out west. We did the family vacation out there this year and I think my eyes were on the antelope and muleys more than the road. A big game hunt out west of some kind has always been a dream of mine. I may start small next year, and try Antelope in SD, NE, or WY, then see what happens. I would only use bow or muzzleloader, just personal preference and I don't own a big rifle anyway. I doubt there is anywhere to still get such tags this late in the year?

Thanks for the welcomes, and best wishes on the bucks.

"its just good to get out"
-CF

Great thread! SD archery is OTC so you can decide to go anytime. I would recommend Wyoming for next year, it is amazing. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back