MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Iowa SF255 NR tags going to outfitters.

These proposals always confound me. Do the Trustees (Commissioners and Legislators) understand this is a Public Trust resource that is not to be allocated disproportionately to the benefit of any Stakeholders or any class of Beneficiaries, unless they can prove that doing so is in the best interest of the Trust Corpus (wildlife) and the best interest of all Beneficiaries (citizens of the state)?

That's a rhetorical question that is answered by the blatant abuse and disregard many Trustees demonstrate. Not just in Iowa, but in many states.

I struggle to see how outfitter set-asides benefit the Trust Beneficiaries or the Trust Corpus. I say that in all states with such programs. Sooner or later, I think the Beneficiaries are going to be forced to sue their Trustees, as the Trustees in most of these instances have complete disregard for their role as Trustees and their duty to the Beneficiaries. Given this disregard, our system of laws leave litigation as the final recourse, something hunters are hesitant to pursue.

I hope you can kill this. It does nothing beneficial for deer or resident deer hunters. Rather, it will increase the impacts of leasing and enhance the ability for a small handful to use this new financial subsidy to lease more land at lower risk, which is to the detriment of resident hunters.

Bump. There's a pretty good constituency of Iowans here.

Anecdotally, it seems like there is ever increasing friction between outfitters and local resident agricultural interests (at least in SE IA). Maybe an alliance with those interests or an appeal to those folks may help address this.

Just a few notes from reading this bill:

It is partisan. (Republican)

An outfitter must be registered as a business in Iowa prior to July 2022 to be eligible for the reserved tags.

A nonresident hunter is only eligible for 1 reserved license. (Doesn’t clarify if this per season, per calendar year, or lifetime)

Not more than 35% of the reserved licenses can be archery.

Anyone who is caught falsifying information for these tags is subject to a $35 fine.

I see this as a way for the state to issue more than 6000 nonresident licenses in the future.

If I was a nonresident hunter who has been applying for points to hunt in Iowa, I would be adamantly opposed to this bill.

This is just the beginning of the session, hold on!

And the goalposts are moving in yet ANOTHER state that I apply in. lol WTF
It sure seems to be a common theme.
It does seem to be a common theme, but I would encourage you to write a senators on the natural resources committee. I would hope that an email hearing from nonresidents against this bill that “appears” to benefit nonresidents explaining why you are against it would go a long ways in not letting it get further than the subcommittee hearing.

Other bills currently in the process.

Some appear to be good and I get behind. Like the no glass and no remote aircraft bill. There are lots of bills in both the house and senate subcommittees relating to deer tags, private land use for public, allowing air bows.

I have not read any further than the title on all of these bills except the nonresident license guarantee bill that the OP presented.

This one is scary to me. I would be adamantly opposed to the allowing atvs/utvs on roads in state parks. I believe that the next step would be trails. I am not against atvs/utvs and I use them often but state parks are not the place for them.

Other bills currently in the process.

Some appear to be good and I get behind. Like the no glass and no remote aircraft bill. There are lots of bills in both the house and senate subcommittees relating to deer tags, private land use for public, allowing air bows.

I have not read any further than the title on all of these bills except the nonresident license guarantee bill that the OP presented.
Clicked on your link. Looks like you've got one trying to legalize "airbows" for archery season. Wtf is wrong with people.

Dam. I was hoping this was for flying over public hunting areas, state forests, etc. it’s just no flying remote aircraft without permission over CAFOs.
But imagine that, Zumbach is a sponsor. He’s the father in law of the CAFO owner at the headwaters of Bloody Run creek, a blue ribbon trout stream in Clayton County.

EDIT: After further review this is during firearm season. I don't care if someone uses one during firearm season. Go for it.

Last edited:
Marcus and I just did a Fresh Tracks Weekly video on SB 255. Mostly about the bigger implications of this trend to allocate Public Trust assets, such as wildlife, to the exclusive use of a small handful of beneficiaries who will then use the economic revenue stream against the other beneficiaries (Iowa residents) by leasing more lands.

Marcus and I just did a Fresh Tracks Weekly video on SB 255. Mostly about the bigger implications of this trend to allocate Public Trust assets, such as wildlife, to the exclusive use of a small handful of beneficiaries who will then use the economic revenue stream against the other beneficiaries (Iowa residents) by leasing more lands.
Thank you! Is it posted to the ‘tube yet?

These proposals always confound me.
I wonder at what point we will stop being surprised by things like this. We live in era where compromise is a dirty word and rules don't apply if your "team" has a large majority. It probably isn't new, but it seems like we are in a world of "when I win I'm going to shove new rules down the throat of my enemy".

If it passes, who would file the lawsuit to claim it invalid? If it was about wolves, I am sure there would be a half dozen groups lining top to get an injunction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back