Iowa/LSU Women’s BBall tonite

Give Marshall more credit shutting down Bueckers. Defensive MVP of that game.
Why’s that? Clark is undeniably the better player to you. Stopping her is harder. She only had 4 more points than Paige.

Why’s that? Clark is undeniably the better player to you. Stopping her is harder. She only had 4 more points than Paige.
I'm just shocked Bueckers didn't have 50...

Just so we're clear, last I checked 21>17...just sayin'.

ClarkBueckers
Points2117
Rebounds94
Assists73
Steals20
Turnovers44
FG7-187-17
3FG3-113-8
FT4-50-0

Don’t get me started on fouls. I told a buddy before it started the refs would make sure Caitlin plays Sunday. And my bets paid out.

Caitlin averages 32, scored 21. 9 under her average.
Paige averages 22 and 17, 5 under average.

Paige also the more efficient shooter on your stats.
1712380668231.png

Don’t get me started on fouls. I told a buddy before it started the refs would make sure Caitlin plays Sunday. And my bets paid out.

How is a player that averages 10 points less the better player?

Oh, and Paige is going to be eating popcorn watching Clark play in the championship game.

How is a player that averages 10 points less the better player?

Oh, and Paige is going to be eating popcorn watching Clark play in the championship game.
That ain’t even what I’m arguing. Sheesh.

Can't agree with buzz. UConn shutting down Clark the way they did was much more impressive. Clark has the edge Paige doesn't, or didn't that game, she seemed really content to just fade away. Clark made so many stupid, lazy mistakes that I damn near turned it off, but you could tell she was also trying incredibly hard to get the ball, and so many times UConn simply wouldn't let her. She let her frustration boil over into mistakes.

I saw 3 bad calls, all went against UConn. Like I said previously I was rooting for Iowa but thought UConn played the better game.

Unless Clark can figure something out, SC is going to roll.

Agreed. UConn had the chance to rebound a missed free throw and get the ball back at half court as well. Just a tough call in that situation. IMO
It was definitely a bummer that the game had to end like that. I wish UConn would have at least had the opportunity to take a shot on that last possession.

I used to always dislike UConn’s women’s hoops teams because they won all the time. Last night I was kind of rooting for them at the end of the game just because of all the bad luck they’ve had to go through with losing basically their whole bench to injury. It’s pretty impressive they got as far as they did with no depth.

I enjoyed both games. South Carolina has a great team. Their center, Cardoso, is going to be hard for Iowa to contain.

I thought U Conn did a great job of bottling up Clark, during the first half. That kind of concerted defensive energy comes at a cost, namely fouls and fatigue, especially when you have no bench. Muhl competed her heart out, her and Bueckers played the entire 40 minutes. Clark also played the entire game.

The first half was sloppy, but much of it was from how hard U Conn was competing on the defensive side of the ball.

If Iowa is going to have a chance, Clark will have built her legend to yet another level. My hunch is South Carolina, by ~12 to 15 points.

They didn't win by 15, but should have if they could have made all the bunnies they missed.
They have been doing it all year (I watch over half their games this season). Missed bunnies and inexplicable weak passes when trapped happen way too often with this team. If they had cleaned those up they would have been even more dominant.

If they don’t find a solution Sunday night the get stomped by SC. But if they play clean they can win it all.

What the hell is a bunny? The english language seems to have gotten away from me over the years.

It's kinda like a gimme putt in golf. Not always a tap in put, but close enough to hurt when you miss.

Some of them were bunnies, some were unanswered prayers. Just because you are close to the basket, you don't always have an easy shot.

It's kinda like a gimme putt in golf. Not always a tap in put, but close enough to hurt when you miss.

Some of them were bunnies, some were unanswered prayers. Just because you are close to the basket, you don't always have an easy shot.
No doubt easier in the driveway against your 12 yo kid than in final 4, but by any objective measure they miss more 2ft layins than any other top 25 team.

Haven't watched many games. But is that the first time Clark has been given a shadow? Really frustrated her. 2 points in first half. Bad turnovers and 0 for 6 on 3s

UConn had 2 player in foul trouble early and Iowa didn't run at them? Sheesh, UConn has no bench literally, so would have had to give easy baskets or risk fouling out

Haven't watched many games. But is that the first time Clark has been given a shadow? Really frustrated her. 2 points in first half. Bad turnovers and 0 for 6 on 3s

UConn had 2 player in foul trouble early and Iowa didn't run at them? Sheesh, UConn has no bench literally, so would have had to give easy baskets or risk fouling out
Other teams have tried (oddly not LSU) but those teams didn’t have Muhl paired with 4 other top players all working in a super disciplined manner like UConn. Also, in some games Martin and Marshall hit a bunch of early 3s that made teams switch defense strategy.

But ya, Caitlyn can get shut down for a quarter or a half. Still seems to hit big shots to trigger runs. She definitely can get frustrated and run down- she plays 40 min almost any meaningful game. Will be interesting to see how her game translates in WNBA. On one hand the D will be better, on the flip side her team mates will be better and finish on more of her passes and make opponents pay for keying on her. I will probably watch my first WBNA game this coming season just to see how it plays out.

View attachment 321726
Several fouls on UConn were intentional as they played from behind late in the 4th. So, foul count disparity not as big as stats show. Also, Iowa (particularly Stulke) made concerted effort to drive at UConn and drew a lot of fouls...and UConn played great defensive pressure but that does come w the price of fouls.

Agree the moving screen was a "tough call"...but it was the correct call, screener was moving and hip-checked Marshall on the play. Refs make that call any other time of the game and nobody argues.

Refs did have some other big misses (ghost foul in the paint in 1st half, Clark could have been called for offensive foul late).

I've always found it interesting/ frustrating that fans and sportscasters want sports games officiated differently the last few plays of a game. "You can't make that call at that time!!" Why not? Bc it makes for less dramatic TV? Not directing that comment at you specifically or even this particular play...but has always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Call it the same all the time, IMO.

No doubt easier in the driveway against your 12 yo kid than in final 4, but by any objective measure they miss more 2ft layins than any other top 25 team.
They aren't going to find making those shots any easier with Cardoso patrolling the lane. I have not watched much women's basketball this year, but she impressed me last night. Iowa does not have anyone close to her size to contain her.

Back