Iowa bird

pointingdogsrule

It's been a tough season in Iowa... low bird numbers in this area, high coyote numbers, a hard winter for the third year & cold - wet weather. The birds were not responding most of the season. I passed on four jakes and 4 bearded hens throughout the season. On the next to the last day a client told me he had seen a tom strutting in his oat field so I set up a blind the previous day and went out this AM. 15 MPH winds and a light rain. They started gobbling and after 1 1/2 hours a tom and 4 hens appeared at 200 yards. He was slowing working his way to me when at 40 yards and from my left this guy appeared. I let him get to 20 yards before the shot. Nothing better then wild turkey.

24 lbs 4 oz, 1/2 inch spurs, 10 inch beard. It's the biggest bird that I have shot (this late in the season) & I'd love to have known what he weighed before at the start of the season and before breeding. I would think close to 28 lbs.

I was thinking that after getting a bird (all mature toms) for 23 years in a row that this wasn't going to be my year. The thing that I really missed about this year was sitting under those trees in the nice 60 - 70 degree temps in the afternoon and calling and napping.

good luck to all
the dog

picture.php

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back