Introduction and WY Antelope Unit 24

dannyb278

Greetings everyone! I've found my way to this form via Randy's excellent Hunt Talk Podcast. Up until this year, my big game hunting has been largely confined to the 1/2 section my family owns in southern Minnesota. Great whitetail and turkey country. This year, after spending the last 7 years working "out west" as a Forest Service employee and surveyor on energy projects for the private sector, I've finally decided to make time for my 1st (of hopefully many) western hunts. I put in for Wyoming Elk but wasn't drawn (PP for next year, fingers crossed).

With elk hunting with my buddies near Sheridan, no longer an option, I decided that Wyoming pronghorn rifle hunt would be a good place to start. I am fairly familiar with the state and figured my dad and I would have a chance of getting drawn in a decent (not trophy) rated unit, even though we had no preference points. We applied as a group for Units 9, 7, and 8 but failed to draw, but now have points for next year. We decided to pick up some leftover tags for Unit 24.

To save a bunch of you some time, I am fully aware that this unit has less public land than many of the higher caliber units, hence the left over tags. However, a review of both the BLM paper maps and the onX hunt gps data that I downloaded show a fair amount of state and blm land (compared to public land in Minnesota) as well as a small portion of the Thunder Basin NG. Some areas might be tied up behind private land, but I cant imagine that we wont be able to get on some goats with that amount of state land available. We are not looking for monster bucks, just good representatives of the species.

Right now the plan is to hunt public land, no guides. I might call some landowner to see if we can get on private for less than 200.00 though. With a 90 percent success rate, and no need for a record buck, I don't really want to pay an extra 500-1000.00 for private land access. We are just hoping to get on some goats and maybe do a little scouting for next year in a different area.

Would any of you have any advice for Unit 24?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate the time.

Last edited:
Yes, a good piece of advice for you is to contact the county and get in writing with a map of the roads that are publicly maintained in 24. You're going to find out that there is a lot more of the public land that is not legally accessible than you think there is and why so many tags are left after the draw . The same goes for unit 23 to the west of it and a couple (16 and 17) to the north of the freeway. Just because there are roads going through or touching the public land out there doesn't mean they are legal to travel on by the public, so be very careful and know where you can legally travel BEFORE you get out there and get a trespass ticket that generally starts out at least $200. PS: The reason for that success rate you mentioned should be able to be figured out by yourself, but I'll give you a hint---private land hunting!

Last edited:
I've hunted several of the units up there with leftover tags and I've never once had anything in writing from the county. The county roads in 23, 24, 16, and 17 are all clearly marked. I've worked/hunted in most all that NE corner of Wyoming and never had any trouble knowing if I was on a county road or private road. There may be an exception or two, but I wouldn't bother with going to the county to get anything in writing unless you find something specific out there that just doesn't look right.

I've also had good luck with the leftover tags in all the units I hunted up there, and have never spent more than a day to fill tags with some pretty good bucks. I would think if you give yourself 3-4 days, you'll be golden.Typically, the only down side to these units is having to drive a ways between parcels that you can hunt. The good thing is that you really get to know the units pretty well and see a bunch of country.

Good luck to you and thanks for purchasing a leftover tag.

Welcome. I got my Unit 8 tag, and picked up a couple leftovers in 23, so we're kinda in the same boat. From what I've been told, you stand a better chance of getting on some private land if you're not looking for a buck, and go toward the end of the season.

Keep us abreast, and Post Pics !

Years back, a friend and I bought some left-over doe tags for the area around Manville/Lusk. I contacted the county and they even sent me a list of landowners. The Niobrara Chamber of Commerce was really great.

We were lucky, in that there was also a tremendous amount of walk-in private land. We killed six does in one day, put them on ice right in the field and went home the next day. It sure does not hurt to contact the local towns. They want your money!

Welcome to the mad house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back