Interesting look into the uncomfortable bedfellows of the great outdoors circa 2018

VikingsGuy

The reaction to REI's banning of non-gun products from Vista Outdoor's conglomerate (e.g., camelback) shines an interesting light on to two very different groups of outdoorsman. A difference that shows up quite often in posts on HT. Of course people are inherently complicated, unique and any attempt at generalization is doomed to failure, but none the less I do at times see two camps -- The traditionalist hunter camp who tend to be GOP conservatives, tend to be older, pro-guns, comfortable with reasonable industrial use of public lands, low trust of federal government, low trust of large environmental groups and their involvement in cross-over groups such as BHA, high interest in personal property rights, more state-oriented. And a newer, more liberal, more eco-conscious, pro-Federal government, anti-industrial, low trust in states, tend more towards DEMs, tend to be younger, more public access rights oriented, less gun-focused hunter camp.

I am prepared to be told how wrong I am, and I may very well be, but I do think there is something to this that underlies much of the dynamics of the HT discourse.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gun-ma...tailers-protest-some-of-its-brands-1520016445

I hope my strong anti transfer stance is never mistaken for being pro federal government.

I fall into Group 1 for the most part but so do most of my relatives, old and young, back in my home state. Probably some geographical overlay that comes into play as look for correlations on opinions and beliefs of hunters. Rural vs. Urban is likely to have a correlation. Level of education attained likely correlates as well though that itself correlates with socio-economic level of parents.

I once heard an old conservative discuss how he was a liberal full of hope and optimism all through college. His generation was going to change the world. He supported expansion of social programs and applauded the Supreme Court showing activism. A few years after college graduation he was mugged by a repeat offender who was then released back on the streets before the summer ended. In just one election cycle he swung to be a single issue law and order voter. I guess you could correlate age with his beliefs though was life experiences that changed his views more than merely being a few years older.

Well camping or not. And at the risk of starting another pissing match thread.....I'm on my way over to REI to turn in my membership card
and tell them to take me off their contact list. I don't spend a huge amount there but I buy something every year.

I haven't made dinner yet, but I'm sure it will be epic :cool: I've cooked for plenty of hunting camps, but I like being in my own camp where I belong.

Last edited:
Hmm. Turns out I was not able to cancel my REI membership at the store, only sign up there, as I did once upon a time. I had to call member services. Both the manager at the store and member services were interested as to why I was cancelling. I was very polite and cordial and just explained that unfortunately politics is affecting where we all do business these days. I told them I sponsor a couple kids in the high school trap league, I am also a hunter, backpacker camper, bicyclist (via Tri's), in fact I run onto some of his employees out on the trails from time to time. But as a result of the decision by their company to no longer do business with Vista I felt I need to channel my buying toward businesses that support my hobbies and interests. I told them I liked their store and their products, which I do.
I usually stop in to load up on items before heading into the mountains and I end up doing a fair amount of my Christmas shopping there.
So it goes.

Last edited:
Hunters are a diverse group just like america. Trying to stuff everyone into two boxes is beyond stupid.

The stupid part was not directed to you Vikingsguy. But to the two party system in general.

Last edited:
Hunters are a diverse group just like america. Trying to stuff everyone into two boxes is beyond stupid.

My post may or may not be accurate, but it is "beyond stupid" (to use your words) to think that viewpoints don't "cluster". Whenever public lands and gun rights pop up on HT the posts and replies are very predictable. There is an interesting study that showed that in 2008 presidential election that the car you drove was 80% successful in predicting your presidential vote, so we are not as unique as we would like to think. Interests and preferences tend to cluster.

My post may or may not be accurate, but it is "beyond stupid" (to use your words) to think that viewpoints don't "cluster". Whenever public lands and gun rights pop up on HT the posts and replies are very predictable. There is an interesting study that showed that in 2008 presidential election that the car you drove was 80% successful in predicting your presidential vote, so we are not as unique as we would like to think. Interests and preferences tend to cluster.

You think we at HT are predictable? mtmuley

I do not disagree on the view points of folks doing similar activities tend to a "cluster" on issues related to the specific activities they have in common.

My complaint lies within the modern two party system which bifracates every issue in to polar opposites and we as hunters get screwed. I go caucus with the dems and I feel like Nancy's going to show up and empty my safe; I caucus with the repubs and I come home to find out they're building the next trump golf course in the sup natl forest.

I just hate that we people try to force me into one of two neat little boxes.

I do not disagree on the view points of folks doing similar activities tend to a "cluster" on issues related to the specific activities they have in common.

My complaint lies within the modern two party system which bifracates every issue in to polar opposites and we as hunters get screwed. I go caucus with the dems and I feel like Nancy's going to show up and empty my safe; I caucus with the repubs and I come home to find out they're building the next trump golf course in the sup natl forest.

I just hate that we people try to force me into one of two neat little boxes.

We very much agree on that. It used to not be such a problem when the two parties were just one indicator of position, when geography was just as big a factory in actual congressional votes. A ND senior citizen could vote for a Democrat ND Senator if social security was an important issue for them, but also trust that this ND Democrat wasn't going go to DC and vote for gun control or nationalized medicine. But now both parties enforce 99% party block voting. Definitely not a good thing for America or Americans.

Last edited:
Back