Insight on .338 Caliber choices

I switched a 300 RUM barrel at just over 1000 rounds. it was still very accurate but I went to a SS barrel. Gunsmith scoped it and said it was still good.

I'd build a lightweight mountain rifle in 338-06AI over those boomers. I really see very little gain in going that big unless you plan on shooting long range? But for big game, with the 338-06 you get all the performance a guy wants on the receiving end, without the punishment and can build it lighter, shorter etc. If I had to chose though, it'd be a the WM, but in a Remington.

I
I got 600 rounds out of my last 300 RUM barrel before the accuracy started to fall off.
I have a .300 RUM with way over 600 rounds through it. Mostly over max with a number of bullets. Still holding under MOA. Not sure how you toasted one at 600. mtmuley

I've had 338 Federal, 338/280, 338 Wm, 340W and 338 RUM. I liked them all but the 338/280. this was back when about the only brass was the nickle plated Remington brand. I had split necks, uneven case mouths sizing up and FF with COW. I needed the headstamp as I was close to going on a planned South Africa trip. I traded it off and used the 340W on that hunt. My SIL used my 338 Federal one year for mule deer and his pal used a Tikka 338 Fed for mule deer and elk.

The magnums are nice if you don't mind a heavy rifle, or need the longer than 350 yd range for the Federal or 450 or so with the 338/06. These both, of course, can be had in light/lively rifles. The 338 RUM is really the "poor man's Lapua"! ha They are all wonderful killers.

I love my Win 70 in 338WM, not the recoil part though. There isn't much drama either when you pull the trigger on game, as I've never had one game animal take one step after taking a hit from my 338.

I

I have a .300 RUM with way over 600 rounds through it. Mostly over max with a number of bullets. Still holding under MOA. Not sure how you toasted one at 600. mtmuley
The rifle was still well under 1 moa, but the groups started opening up consistently. At which point I decided to rebarrel it. Since then I have gone to a carbon wrapped barrel and solely use it for hunting not, instead of hunting and long range target shooting.

.338's are a handful. Do you really need one? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but with the exception of the Winchester, those cartridges are on the top end of big .338's. But, I would say out of that list, the AWR in the RUM. mtmuley
This made my day, mtmuley suggested something is maybe more powerful than needed :)

Magnum .338s are in a bit of a no-man's land. Not big enough to meet caliber requirements for dangerous game in Africa and more than is needed for big game in North America. But if you must, seems like .338 Lapua is the way to go.

I am toying with the idea of rebarreling a 300 RUM to either a 33 Nosler or a 338 RUM. I already have a fairly heavy 338 LM. I am wanting a lighter rifle so I am leaning towards the Nosler for shootability and a little more room in the magazine to play with seating depth. But, that project is down the road a year or two.

I'm in search of my very first 338. These are the rifle and calibers i have been looking at these for big game.

Mark V WeatherMark 340 WBY
Remington AWR 338 RUM
Nosler M48 Mountain Carbon 33 Nosler
M70 Weather Extreme 338 Win

I'm not very familiar with these calibers so I'm looking for some insight on these calibers.
A 338 Win Mag is a very useful caliber and can be used for everything in North America. That being said it all comes at a price “ RECOIL “ and recoil is something that each individual must know his limits. I’m not sure where you live and what you’ll be hunting but if it were me and I really wanted and needed the 338 Win Mag I’d go with the Savage 110 Storm. It’s a very good weapon, tried and true. A strong action and VERY ACCURATE right out of the box, and very economical ( NOT CHEAP). Then spend a little extra on a GOOD scope and Rings and Mounts. And if you’re a handloader the 338 Win Mag really shines. Hope this helps.

I have always found the .338 Federal and .338-06 to be very interesting. Never even shot one, but I kind of have this idea that once I'm done with my .280 AI build, I may look at building a rifle, or rebarreling one to one of those cartridges.

DO IT !! I'm absolutely ecstatic with my 338 Fed rebore project.

I'm really enjoying my m70 '06 rebore to 338-06. Performance enough to handle anything I'll chase without too much punishment. I'm still mozying away on building a load up somewhat delayed by lack of powder availability, but I finally have a new batch of powder on order and hope to wrap that up in the next month.

I'm really enjoying my m70 '06 rebore to 338-06. Performance enough to handle anything I'll chase without too much punishment. I'm still mozying away on building a load up somewhat delayed by lack of powder availability, but I finally have a new batch of powder on order and hope to wrap that up in the next month.
Did you have JES do the rebore and how does it shoot?

Whats your favorite Bullet / Weight combination for your 338-06?

Did you have JES do the rebore and how does it shoot?
I had JES rebore my .270 a couple years ago. He did a great job and I am able to get sub MOA using IMR 4064 under a 150 gr. Barnes TSX BT.

I had JES rebore my .270 a couple years ago. He did a great job and I am able to get sub MOA using IMR 4064 under a 150 gr. Barnes TSX BT.

Thanks. I have heard really good things about JES. I bought a left hand Remington 700 LSS several years ago at a pawn shop with the intent of making myself a 280 AI; however, the 338-06 is really appealing and I have been weighing a re-bore vs a new #3 Hart barrel as an alternative to the 280 AI.

Whats your favorite Bullet / Weight combination for your 338-06?

I've only been trying out 213gr hammer hunters and some Sierra 215s as well. I've only done velocity ladders up to this point but im happy with velocities so far and it seems like it should group well. I expect to wade back into my load development in the next couple weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back