Inheritance rifle for hunting. 1960's Weatherby

Jchiggins2012

Hey guys, Im inheriting my great grandfathers rifle this year. A 1960's Weatherby Mark V 300 weatherby magnum. I cant remember what year it is 1960-1970. My grandmother has been pulling it out every couple months for cleaning since his death in 1984, a few years before I was born. She wants me to take an elk with it. I dont know if the bore has been cleaned on a regular either.

I think it would be a great tribute to him. He got lost in the mountains in Idaho in the 70's and a rancher found him and guided him back to safety. The rancher was offered a thank you payment and the rancher asked for this rifle. My great grandfather said not his rifle and when he returned to Detroit he bought an identical one for the guy and sent it back to the rancher.

Would you take an old rifle out hunting that hasn't been shot in awhile? Maybe I should get it fully ran through professionally? Just looking for opinions.

joel

212.jpg

I'd probably just run a few patches down the bore to see what comes out. Judging from the picture I'd say it was well cared for. I'd buy new ammo and save the old stuff for a keepsake

I'd probably just run a few patches down the bore to see what comes out. Judging from the picture I'd say it was well cared for. I'd buy new ammo and save the old stuff for a keepsake
This! I can't imagine there's a thing mechanically wrong with that rifle.

Depending on what you mean by "cleaning" every four months since 1984 I'd think about things like excessive oil gumming up the firing pin spring, and gunk around the pin and extractor. I'd tidy it up and shoot.

I love old rifles - that one really isn't that old, so I think you are probably good to go. I'd wipe the bore with some light solvent (e.g, Hoppes #9 etc) and go for it. Definitely, you need to take an elk with it. What Grandma wants, Grandma gets. It is your duty to see to it. :)

Great rifle! It even has a weatherby scope it looks like. I bet it shots great and you will feel great about Gramps when your standing over a bull...good luck

WOW! What a beautiful rifle! What a great way to honor your grandfather. It wouldn't hurt to run a patch or two down the barrel.

Definitely go hunt with it! I'd pull it out of the stock. Clean the bore and wipe down everything. Flush the trigger out with lighter fluid and apply some grease to the bolt lugs. Buy some new ammo and go test it out. Is it a German made weatherby? If so it's more than likely a 12 twist. Stick to 180gr bullets.

Very solid advice.
At the same time, that's pretty old ..... maybe you should trade me for a like new Tikka? ;) Seriously, that's a beautiful rifle and one you hang on to forever.

I'm pretty positive that's a weatherby imperial scope. German made. The top knobs are elevation and focus.

Definitely go hunt with it! I'd pull it out of the stock. Clean the bore and wipe down everything. Flush the trigger out with lighter fluid and apply some grease to the bolt lugs. Buy some new ammo and go test it out. Is it a German made weatherby? If so it's more than likely a 12 twist. Stick to 180gr bullets.

Just to get a very good cleaning, I would do just as this fine gentleman suggested. That is an awesome looking rifle that should be a great hunting rifle. I would shoot an email to the Weatherby sight and give them the serial number. They can probably tell you what year it was made. I think that would be neat to know.

Just a good cleaning. Put that old ammo away a buy some new ammo and take it to the range! I shot a left handed gun very similar one to that gun, scope eyed!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back