PEAX Equipment

Indoor Home Fitness Equipment

Muskeez

I have a good treadmill. What else can I get that won't break the bank? When the snow is melted off of the football stadium steps I give those a good workout. Until then I am wondering about some kind of stair-stepper machine. Big-box stores have them for less than $100. Has anyone tried them? Good ones, bad ones? other suggestions? I really found last year on my hunt that I wished I had done more vertical training than flat running, but that's hard to do here in the flattest of the flatlands.

Does your treadmill do inclines? Stick that sucker on 15% for a while. Your quads will let you know you are working on some vertical training.

I think you'll find that interval/strength workouts like Insanity, or P90X3 will give you better results than buying a stairstepper.

If you want a vertical workout, put your pack on with 40 lbs in it and do step ups onto a mile crate or workout bench for 45 minutes.

30 Jumping Jacks
20 Squats
20 Pushups
20 High Knees
20 Situps
20 Pushups
20 Situps
20 Squats
20 Mountain Climbers
30 Second Plank

Repeat 4 Times

30 Jumping Jacks
20 Squats
20 Pushups
20 High Knees
20 Situps
20 Pushups
20 Situps
20 Squats
20 Mountain Climbers
30 Second Plank

Repeat 4 Times

True that! It is amazing how mixing it up can whoop your ass when your stuck doing the same thing over and over. I do a ton of biking and it is great for cardio but one every couple weeks I do one legged dips (stand with back to couch, put one foot on cushion and squat) and I am so sore 2 days later I am reminded to mix it up more.

Good thoughts guys, thanks! My treadmill does incline and I did that a lot with 55# in pack, but it's still not the same as some of the vertical climbing we had to do. It was so steep that we had to literally go 20-30 yards at a time, grabbing tree roots, saplings, etc. - that's why I'm thinking stairs would be best where I have to take a bigger vertical step. Up and down on a solid crate with a pack on would probably do it too..? Due to past shoulder surgery I can't do all of parts in those insanity type workouts, like push-ups, etc.. some, just not crazy amounts.

Get a set of lightweight dumbbells, 8lb, and a set of 20, 25, or 30's depending on your abilities. You can do a pile of total body workouts with these, then cardio at the end. Go hard for 30-45 mins and you will get a good workout that trains for flexibility, strength, and cardio. The interchangeable bands are also nice to have.

I run 2 miles every day on treadmill but just recently started a 10% incline for the 2nd mile - wow ! Hurt right away for first few weeks now it feels great . By fall I should be ready

You should check out fit2hunt.net we have a full workout program for sportsman that can be done at home with minimal equipment. Do the free trial and get an idea of what is possible without spending money.

You live anywhere near a gym? Membership prices are so cheap these days. I go to Gold's here in Boise and it's $9.99 a month, no contract no sign up fee. Axiom is $19.99/month here no contract. Both have more than I could ever need. Weights, pools, stairmasters, battle ropes, treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, the works.

I just don't think it makes sense financially to have a home gym anymore, unless you live in the sticks.

I agree get to a gym ASAP and discover all the joys yoga pants have brought us.

Back