Incredible fish!!

Ithaca 37

Just a little background info on the fish we post so much about:

Natural Wonder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edition Date: 05-07-2004
Idaho salmon and steelhead are marathon swimmers. They cover hundreds of miles to reach their spawning grounds, and the trip takes its toll. The fish suffer abrasions during their upstream migration. The wounds turn white from fungus. This steelhead made the trip to the Little Salmon River, and its journey is nearly complete.

Both salmon and steelhead are anadromous fish, which means they are born in fresh water,and then spend part of their lives in the ocean before returning to fresh water to spawn.

Salmon always die after spawning, but some steelhead in other states can go back to the ocean and return to spawn again. (Steelhead, for those of you who don't know, are ocean-going rainbow trout.) Idaho steelhead are more like salmon. The arduous journey from the ocean and the stress of spawning is too much for them.

A steelhead that returns to the Little Salmon has swum about 600 miles upstream, and those that return to the Stanley basin have come 900 miles; they are the long distance champs of any salmon or steelhead in the continental United States.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040507/IDOUT/405070307/1059

============================================

You think those fatassed bass you guys catch could swim 900 miles? That's one reason wild native salmon and steelhead have to be protected----so the gene pool of such incredible fish is preserved.

Geez IT !
Fatassed Bass ?
So Bass are the ATV riders of the fish world ?
So , is Dubya then the ATV rider of politics ?
and all ATV riders make and sell meth ?
Therefore ; Dubya = Bass = ATV's = Meth = Bad
Kind of a stretch , but you go with it if it works for you.

IT, Buzz, EG,

(Steelhead, for those of you who don't know, are ocean-going rainbow trout.)
Steelhead have to more than just ocean-going rainbow trout. I am not trying to be a smart ass here. They have to more than ocean going Rainbows.

IT,
What about the fatassed walleyes I catch? Some of them swim 1,100 miles. At least they swim that far, swimming in circles, in Fort Peck. :D :D

I am also curious where the fatassed description ends. So far on SI I have seen posts about: Fatassed ATVer's, Fatassed JetSkier's, Fatassed Horseman, Fatassed Elkgunner's and now Fatassed Bass. I wonder where it ends? Fatassed Bear Baiters? Fatassed Carp Fisherman? Fatassed Hatchery raised fish counters?

Nemont

Nemont,

Steelhead are sea-run rainbows. They are born in fresh water, migrate to the ocean, then return to frest water to spawn. On coastal rivers they can return back to the salt, then spawn again.

But, they are just a sea-run rainbow. Theres also sea-run cutthroat.

Heres an Idaho steelhead:

steelheadhrs.JPG

Heres an arlee strain rainbow from a friends pond. They look a lot alike...

buzztrout.JPG

Buzz, I'd probably be as unhappy as you with that first fish. ;)

Wish I had friends like you do.

Oak

Oak,

Yeah, I know, I look real happy. Doug's damned camera was on the blink. You never knew when the thing was going to take a picture. Might be right after he pushed the button or it might be 10-30 seconds later.

Thankfully, he got the thing fixed.

I really spanked Doug that day I caught that steelhead in the first picture. I landed 9, he never had a single hit! The next day though, Doug payed me back, he hooked 9 landed 8, while I hooked 9 landed only 4.

That pond of my buddies is plumb full of fish. Those big rainbows, brookies, cutthroat, and browns.

I caught the one in the picture on a 5 weight fly rod. They have you into your backing in about two seconds when you hook them. You land very few you hook.

Here is a picture of probably the worst looking Hatchery fish I have ever caught. It had nothing left for a Dorsal fin, and if you look at the lower jaw, there is a big ID band in it.

Steelhd93.jpg

An adult Steelhead is SUPPOSED to return to the Ocean, but due to the dams, there is NO CHANCE fo the adult fish to return to the ocean. :(

Originally posted by BuzzH:
Nemont,

Steelhead are sea-run rainbows. They are born in fresh water, migrate to the ocean, then return to frest water to spawn. On coastal rivers they can return back to the salt, then spawn again.

But, they are just a sea-run rainbow. Theres also sea-run cutthroat.

Heres an Idaho steelhead:

steelheadhrs.JPG

Heres an arlee strain rainbow from a friends pond. They look a lot alike...

buzztrout.JPG
Fishing from and pond? That's like shooting Elk from an enclosed area! I can't believe you would stoop to those levels. Why hasn't Elkcummer jumped yer ass about this!

WS,

Its fun on a fly rod, for an hour or so.

It isnt anything like hanging a 16 pound wild steelhead below the Middle Fork of the Salmon though. Apples and Oranges.

WS,

Its fun on a fly rod.

It isnt anything like hanging a 16 pound wild steelhead on the Middle Fork of the Salmon though. Apples and Oranges.
I bet it is Buzz! Probably just as fun as shooting a 400 bull off a game ranch where they don't have a chance. Big Game, nor any animal should be enclosed for human pleasure! But I'm sure Elkcummer has caught a fish in this situation too. I just wan't to see his Leftist view on this situation and watch him contradict himself. But the FATASS 4 WHEELER riding he hates so much is just fine when they use them to take his Bear bait to the site! What a Hypocrite!!!

Personally, I dont know anyone that views fishing in a pond (really a small lake), the same as shooting elk in a small pen.

I would find no fun in killing a 400 bull in a pen.

Personally, I dont know anyone that views fishing in a pond (really a small lake), the same as shooting elk in a small pen.

But looking at it in Elkcummers and Ithacas one way views, I see no difference!

But looking at it in Elkcummers and Ithacas one way views, I see no difference!

Yeppers WapSlap,
I have caught fish in the Middle Fork. And I loved it. Actually, I have caught fish all through Bear Valley Creek, into the Middle Fork. And in the Middle Fork, both above and below Dagger Falls. In my humble opinion, the fishing between Boundary Creek and Pistol Creek is some of the best fishing in the Lower 48.

You are absolutely right, it can not compare to catching fish in a pond or "little lake".

Although, sometimes Lake fishing is fun, if you can hold a beer while catching fish.

Originally posted by ElkGunner:
Yeppers WapSlap,
I have caught fish in the Middle Fork. And I loved it. Actually, I have caught fish all through Bear Valley Creek, into the Middle Fork. And in the Middle Fork, both above and below Dagger Falls. In my humble opinion, the fishing between Boundary Creek and Pistol Creek is some of the best fishing in the Lower 48.

You are absolutely right, it can not compare to catching fish in a pond or "little lake".

Although, sometimes Lake fishing is fun, if you can hold a beer while catching fish.
I fish all them areas every year! Getting ready for Bear Valley Creek and the Stone Fly hatch in a month or so. Can't hold beer while fly fishing!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back