Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Imperiled pikas

ELKCHSR

Imperiled pikas find haven in lava fields
By Idaho Statesman
May 29, 2007

BOISE, Idaho - Across much of its traditional range, the American pika is waging a struggle for survival, its numbers and habitat diminishing, scientists say, because of rising temperatures perhaps brought on by global climate change.

Yet research shows the mammal, a pint-sized cousin of the rabbit that reaches a top weight of 6 ounces, appears to be thriving in the lava fields of the Craters of the Moon National Monument in eastern Idaho.

Pikas prefer to live in broken rocks in high-elevation mountains, but warming trends have rapidly chased the hypersensitive pika into smaller islands of habitat.

There is another key angle to understanding the pika's plight: Studying its movements and habitat shifts may help scientists measure the effects of climate change on the ecosystems humans and other creatures have come to depend on.

"Pikas may be the early sentinels of biological response to global climate change," Erik Beever, an ecologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, told the Idaho Statesman.

The Earth's warming process happened gradually since the cooler Pleistocene era 10,000 years ago, Beever said.

But in the past two decades, Beever and other scientists have seen pika distribution reduced at rates of years and decades instead of centuries and millennia.

"At half of the locations we've found pikas in the past in the Great Basin, they will be gone in 15-20 years," Beever said.

In Idaho, most of the remaining habitat is in alpine areas like the Sawtooth Mountains and other ranges. But Beever found in the late 1990s that pikas were thriving in Craters of the Moon, the high desert Snake River plain near Arco that is dominated by lava flows, caves and fissures nearly 15,000 years old.

Typically, pikas were found only in talus, the broken rock that lies on a steep mountainside or at the base of a cliff. In these piles of scree, the creatures with thick fur coats take refuge from intolerable, warmer temperatures in the range of 77 to 85 degrees.

"They are just very sensitive to any rise in temperature," said Andrew Smith, a pika expert at Arizona State University.

"Pika habitat is like an upside- down ice cream cone. It just gets smaller as it gets closer to the top."

For centuries, pika populations waxed and waned with the gradual climatic changes, Beever said. They were able to expand their range in cooler times, migrating from rock pile to rock pile down to lower elevations like Craters of the Moon.

But with the pace of climate change quickening, scientists say pika colonies are migrating from lower elevations. Roads, housing developments and even livestock serve as obstacles along the traditional path to higher elevations.

"When they are forced into a different zone, like if they find themselves in an aspen forest, they just wander around," Smith said. "They are lost. Pikas need the rocks to survive."

The Craters of the Moon offers a high desert climate, with average high temperatures during the summer around 80 degrees and average low temperatures in the winter in the teens. Its telltale, flat lava flows connect to the Pioneer Mountains, the southern edge of the northern Rockies.

Historically, the pika's range reached north into British Columbia, the northern edge of their habitat today. Craters of the Moon is among the lowest elevation sites where pikas survive today.

"Pikas remain there because of the physical complexity of the lava structures," Beever said. "Throughout the lava, there are thermal . . . cooler places where pikas can go."

With the decline in pika colonies across the Great Basin, from Idaho to California, the Craters of the Moon could become a critical refuge of the future.

That was on the national news a week or so ago.

I hunted in Colorado last season. The last time I hunted there was in 2002. The one spot I hunted is at around 10000 ft and the pikas would piss me off with their alarm chrip. (I don't know if elk pay any attension to that or not.)

Well I told my wife,after hearing that news report, that I didn't hear one chrip all season last year. Although I didn't go in the wilderness where there's ice year around.

Watching all the hooplah about global warming, there are all sorts of outlandish claims being made, some are really out there in their accusations...

If the populations of this cool little animal are actaully on the decline, it would be intersting to know what the cause is

I don't think it's global warming though

1 pointer- Do you think the pika population is not effected by global warming or do you not believe that global warming exists?

Elkchsr- Do you believe the glaciers in Glacier National Park are not effected by the temperature or is it simply their habitat that is decreasing in size? Maybe there is another cause for the ice melting?

I find it hard to believe that the pika population is effected by the small amount of global warming. But if they are affected by warming, then maybe when the globe starts the cooling trend someday then their population might rise again.

I agree with PaMtMan - those little rodents are annoying. That damn sqeek they make gets frustrating at times.

Matt

While it's proven parts of the world are warming, other parts are static at the moment

Do I believe the general concenses of the notion it's man created, not on your life

Do I think some of these critters (dritters according to Moosie) are becoming less populated because of the "global warming" theories that abound in every facet of the news... I'll wait until the grandstanding is completed to see what the real truth about this whole issue is

I've seen the news blow so many good issues so far out of proportion

Then the sheeple of the world blindly follow their every word and the happless fools are swayed with what ever the perceived crisis of the day happens to be

I know your going to come back that you want an interpreter, so I'll save you the effort, don't believe every thing you see on TV... :)

elkchsr- So am I correct in my understanding that you will wait until the furry little critters are extinct and then say "yep, global warming exists"? What "science" are you waiting for or what proof do you need? To think man has no effect on the temperature is assinine. I am not sure to what extent man can change things or what the effect over-all will be in a hundred years but I do know that people have an effect.

I shot a fuggin monster pika a few years ago. 7" square with a 2 15/16" skull.

If they are in fact impacted by global warming than it makes no sense that they are now "thriving" in the craters of the moon. Folks that place is a far cry from alpine habitat, and while it may get cold in the winter it is hotter than hell for the other 5 months. Its lava rocks and desert, june grass and sagebrush.

Do you think the pika population is not effected by global warming or do you not believe that global warming exists
I believe they are making a leap of faith to tie it to global warming, from the evidence presented in the article.

Matt...

I don't know where your going, if you’re trying to bait me into some thing, you will have to be a little more specific on your intent

You’re drawing a pretty big conclusion if you think I would prefer Pika's to go extinct before I believe in global warming...

If you had been around much of the world, you would think it asinine to think man was the entire reason global warming was taking place just from the shear amount of world out there with no one living on it...

Besides, what would be your answer to saving the world, and make it some thing that is doable... :)

Pointer,

I agree with you, the article is a bit of a stretch.

However, its pretty difficult to to deny that the climate is changing and that man has no effect.

How many canaries have to die in a coal mine before someone recognizes theres a problem?

Finding plants blooming earlier and earlier, portage glacier barely visible from the visitor center anymore, polar ice caps shrinking, average temps. increasing, glacier parks glaciers going away, pikas becoming more rare.

No single thing means much, but combined, its intuitively obvious...even to the most casual of observors, that global warming is real and that man is accelerating the process.

Something interesting I came across in a book I'm reading called "River Pioneers," is that back in the mid 1800's the Columbia river in the Portland vicinity froze over completely in the winter, and it wasn't just one year that it did so. They were driving cattle across the river on the ice, it was that solid. I have never seen or heard of the Columbia freezing at all, in recent times. Must be some truth to the global warming "theory."

Buzz- We are pretty much in agreement. With global warming issue I see two big hurdles; 1. determining how bad of a problem is it? (ie is it bad?) 2. how does one even attempt to try to fix/reverse it.

WH- IIRC the 'Little Ice Age' ended in the late 1800's, which pretty much corraborates the story about the Columbia. BTW, I didn't know you could read, congrats! ;)

If you had been around much of the world, you would think it asinine to think man was the entire reason global warming was taking place just from the shear amount of world out there with no one living on it...
That is a brilliant statement...

I love the Movie Ice age !!!

If your Species going extint clap your hands.....

OHHHH now, whatas that sound, All the mamoths are in the ground .....

:D :D :D :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back