I'm a passenger on the Raghorn Express

BiggWimm

9/12 started off as a day gone wrong. Weather and errands delayed me from leaving the house until mid-afternoon, completely bypassing my morning hunt. I got to my hunting grounds around 2pm and immediately began setting up my camp. By 5pm, I was ready. Got my gear on, sprayed down with scent eliminator, and took off for the hills. By 7pm I was about 1.5 miles from my camp, all on foot, set up in some bushes, ready for a night of glassing. By 7:10 pm I had spotted a cow elk with 2 calves. Then he emerged, my monster raghorn. Mind you, I believe official sunset was at 7:04 pm. My plan was to watch him bed down and attack in the morning. With that thought bouncing around my thick skull, he starts to follow the cow out of the drainage. Thinking quickly, I cow call a few times. I want him to think that there are other cows in the drainage and he shouldn't leave. He is approximately 1,200 yards away. Once he hears the calls, he turns and starts my way. I think to myself, holy $H!T, this is gonna happen NOW! Then he starts bugeling. Adrenaline starts to flow. I bugle back, cow call, pause. He begins to run towards me. The calves are following him. He stops at 350 yards to destroy a tree. I have snuck forward so that I am in position behind some tall scrub oak so I give them a vigorous shake. Once again he is on the run. I can hear him bugeling, snorting, roaring, and destroying vegetation on his way up the hill to me. Next thing I know, the calves emerge first, circling my location at 15 yards. I believe it was inexperience on their part that they didn't bust me. Then he emerges. 50 yards away, downhill, broadside. I remember thinking, "This is going to work."

This is my first elk with archery equipment. Make that my first big game animal with a bow, other than black bear over bait.

I draw. I am shaking so bad I can't get the pins to line up in my peep. I relax my draw, take a couple deep breaths, and draw again. Line it up, still shaking, range is good, release. The arrow sailed right over his back. The bull turned so he was quartering away. I was able to get another arrow knocked. Draw. Release. WHACK! $H!T, he was downhill and I hit him high. I start calling and he comes right back. I can see the blood coming from his wound. Knock another arrow. Draw. Release. WHACK! I hit him a little high again, sticking in his opposite shoulder. He falls, thrashes, jumps up and runs. I am able to watch him till he beds down, I can see the blood coming from both wounds. Then it is dark. I make the decision to leave him overnight, and prep for the worst night sleep of my life.

I wake long before daylight and hike to where I shot from. I have to sit and wait for daylight. Finally the sun comes up, and there he lays, exactly where I left him. I cannot express the feeling of joy and elation. Not only did I harvest my first archery elk, he was right where I left him. Hope you enjoyed the story, enjoy the pictures as well!

Attachments

• P9130278.jpg
    P9130278.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 481
  • P9130279.jpg
    P9130279.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 483
  • P9130286.jpg
    P9130286.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 481
Congrats! Enjoy your encounter with a bull with a deathwish. They don't come that way very often. :)

Wow! Great story and pics! Grats and thanks for sharing! Gets my blood pumping reading that!

Good stuff! :)

That's awesome. Congrats. I must say that is the best scoring 4 point bull that I have ever seen.

Nothing better than when a "plan" comes together. You've spotted your intended quarry, positioned yourself well, then hit the call, and here he comes trotting your way. That moment of, "oh man, this might just work out" is one of the best moments in the field. Way to go!!

Thanks everyone! Just to let you know, this was my third camp I had set up. I had a little time invested.

Congrats, I would be very happy to run into one like that in the next couple weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back