Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I'm a Ford Guy!

Redmt

Always have been, always will be. I have a couple power strokes. A '96 with 320+k miles and my "new" 2000 truck with 280+k miles. I love my trucks. For the past year or so I've been hunting with a buddy that has a 2010 Chevy 3/4 4x4 extended cab, flatbed diesel. It's ranch truck quality with paint optional. It has close to 200k. That truck is comfortable, it's quite, smooth riding and goes pretty much anywhere you point it. I wouldn't take a jeep some of the places we have taken that long wheelbase 3/4 ton truck.

If ya like it, buy it. We'll try not to laugh. The chebbies are nice if you don't mind replacing them every couple years.
Most everyone is a Ford or Chevy guy. I happen to be a Chevy guy. I’ve owned 8 Chevy trucks in my life and zero Fords. My granddaddy drove Chevys and so does my dad. My son’s first truck will be the 94 2500 that we have. I know lots of guys who are the same way about Fords.

Most everyone is a Ford or Chevy guy. I happen to be a Chevy guy. I’ve owned 8 Chevy trucks in my life and zero Fords. My granddaddy drove Chevys and so does my dad. My son’s first truck will be the 94 2500 that we have. I know lots of guys who are the same way about Fords.
I was a Chevy guy up until we bought a couple new 99's. Both spent more time in the shop than at home. We use our trucks as trucks. They just didn't hold up. My son bought the first Ford Power Stroke in 99 it was a new F350 4 door 4x4. What a beautiful truck. I grabbed the first Ford diesel I could find which was a used 96 F250 4x4 flatbed. I soon replaced it with a 2000 F350 4x4 . I still have them both, drive them daily almost with zero major problems. There's over 600k between them. My buddy that has the 2010 I was referring to has 5-6 of them that are town/ranch trucks. One of them will be in the shop regularly. Not a month goes by without something breaking. They sure do ride nicer than my Ford's though.

They all make some good ones, and some not good ones. I've owned Dodge, Ford, Chevy and the latest is a GMC.
I don't hang on to them much over 150,000, the only bad one I had was a 2003 Chevy 1500. It was a period where I think GM was using trash Chineese steel, rusty everything on that truck. My son ran a 2004 Impala from high school through 3 years after college. It ended up needing scrapped this summer after the frame was just rusted away, while my 99 Grand Am daily commuter is still pretty much rust free.

I'm a Ford Guy!​

Me too (and a part time mechanic)😂

I own 4 of them.

Also own a Jeep Rubicon that I’ve been adding mods to and I would take it far more places than the fords….

If ya like it, buy it. We'll try not to laugh. The chebbies are nice if you don't mind replacing them every couple years.
My family has bought GM sense we stopped buying Studebaker in the 50s. Around the mid to late 2000s they turned to crap. My last two purchases from them was a 09 chevy Silverado 1500 and a 2015 GMC acadia and those lemons cost GM my business on my last 2 car purchases. The 4l60e transmission in those two vehicles was garbage and GM knew about it and still kept sticking them in vehicle's. Now they are the most comfortable of any of the manufacturers out there IMO have nice fit and finish. But who cares how comfortable the seat is or how nice the interior when the thing starts falling apart at 100k? Only Ford I ever had was a 94 full size OJ bronco I loved that thing should've never got rid of it although 8 miles a gallon was rough on the wallet and that was when gas was under $2.

I'm going straight 6...but there's no denying Ford trucks...If the Ram trucks didn't rust themselves off their frames, they might be a decent alternative.

Pretty tough to beat those 7.3L Powerstrokes. There was another diesel that Ford offered in the early 90s, the IDL (International - non-turbo).

Non of those vintage trucks come without maintenance costs at this point, so finding one that is well maintained is difficult.

Thing is I would expect a $175k truck to be able to handle a work load...LOL

I 'spose if you can afford it, it doesn't matter that they only pull a half ton for about 75 miles...

I don't trust the EV market just yet, call me old fashioned...

View attachment 291573
Your price is wrong by double.

Battery capacity is 300+ miles which covers 95% of my trips. It’s fully equipped for off road driving.

I don’t need a work truck which is probably why I can afford a Rivian.

I was a Chevy guy up until we bought a couple new 99's. Both spent more time in the shop than at home. We use our trucks as trucks. They just didn't hold up. My son bought the first Ford Power Stroke in 99 it was a new F350 4 door 4x4. What a beautiful truck. I grabbed the first Ford diesel I could find which was a used 96 F250 4x4 flatbed. I soon replaced it with a 2000 F350 4x4 . I still have them both, drive them daily almost with zero major problems. There's over 600k between them. My buddy that has the 2010 I was referring to has 5-6 of them that are town/ranch trucks. One of them will be in the shop regularly. Not a month goes by without something breaking. They sure do ride nicer than my Ford's though.
That was not a great era for Chevy, most of the C10/20/30, K10/20/30 all got severe body rot. In '68 Chevy offered a K20 w/327, one of the best engines Chevy made. Lots of history there...the 327 was the first fuel injected engine built in a production car, but the body rotted apart...

I went '46 which was a smaller body/cab, a lot of people don't like them. They're noisy as they have side hoods, and a crank out windshield, but those are the features I wanted.

With all that said, getting the gear for the transmission and rear end is often a PITA. DAMHIKT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back