I'll be out in Co this year

DaveHawk

I signed up for a hunt with a group called COFA. Unguided hunt but many of the members have hunted together since 88. This will be my 1st attempt at an Elk. I am so looking forward to the trip. I'm told to start working out now and I have been for a while. So far I've dropped 15 pounds. I'll drive out from Md with ATV in the back of my van. Oct 21st is the start of the hunt. I'm excited ! I've been looking for a partner to join me but so far I have 4 guys who said next year. O well I enjoy long drives plenty of coffee and 5 hour energy drinks. LOL

Has anyone ever hunted the COFA hunt out of Denver.

I was invited out to hunt with two guys that I met on a hunt talk website last year in unit 62.. These guys are #1 in my book. They took this old guy (55) on his first bow hunt for elk and it may have been the most enjoyable hunt of my life. I didn't take an elk, but had a couple of close encounters that took my breath away. I drove out to Delta, Co. alone. The drive out is pretty simple but that drive back is quite a job.
I wish you a lot of luck on your trip.
What unit will you be hunting?
I'm going back out on a bow hunt from Illinois the 17th of Sept., but I've decided to fly this time. I'm going with the same guys. We may go back to 62 or may try it in unit 28 this year.

Jay.

Unit 62 is a great area. My buddy killed a 4 by on the plateau and I passed a 4 by the same day. We went self guided out of a camp that had guided hunters in it. We were the only ones that saw elk on a consistent basis. Guess if you get off the roads you will see more elk. I would suggest leaving your 4 wheeler at home as you can only drive it on dirt roads where you can drive a 4wd truck. You are not allowed to travel off the road......not even to get your elk out in most places. Private land is the only place you can drive off road to your hunting spot or to get your elk out.

Look up Sunset Canyon Outfitters. They are the outfit we used to have a place to stay on the mountain. Jody Weimer is a great guy. His son Kurt runs the show. Jody has horses up there to pack your elk out if you so desire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back