If you had 12 pts

lbirch

Before you get excited, I'm not asking for your secret spot or the road to the biggest elk. I only want your opinion. I don't post a lot of threads during the year because I like to read but I've been a member for a few years so I'm putting this out there.

I've been researching areas to apply for elk in Utah. I live in southern Utah and Indian Peaks is only 1.5 hours away. I've seen some good bulls there but I'm at least 5 years from drawing the rut hunt. I'm afraid the UT DWR has mismanaged this unit for the past 4 years by doubling the number of tags and allowing spikes to be taken in general season hunts.

After helping a friend on a late season elk hunt in Nevada about 60 miles to the west I got excited for the late season hunt offered on the Indian Peaks unit. The hunt isn't in the rut but the odds are better and I could draw this possibly next year. I know I could kill a bull but it would take the entire hunt to kill one better than 350. I'm not using a guide but six buddies owe me so I plan to collect. I'm sure that won't be hard.

Other than this hunt I could draw one of the following with the number of points I have. Give me your opinion on which you would choose if you were in my shoes.

1. Book Cliffs - Bitter Creek muzzleloader (in the rut). I know some good areas in this unit and I've killed two bulls there. I've seen three monster bulls that would score 375 or better. Two in the rut and one during a late season hunt with a friend.

2. Book Cliffs - Bitter Creek late rifle.

3. Book Cliffs - Little Creek muzzleloader (in the rut). I've never been there but my friend from Nevada has several times. He has mules but I don't think he will be available since he's a guide now and I can't take him away from paying clients.

4. Manti muzzleloader (in the rut). Again, I've never hunted there but I have a friend who has been there. He and his brothers have drawn this unit the past three years but none have killed anything better than 320. He thinks we can find a good one and its hunting during the rut.

5. Indian Peaks late rifle. Like I said above. I've been out there each year the last three years researching and getting to know the area. I know one of the guides for MossBack that hunts this area and he could give me some advice...maybe. The late season scares me a bit but after this year in Nevada I'm more confident that I could find a 350+ bull so long as I put in the time before and during the hunt.

6. None of the above.

Thanks!

I have a friend that guides on the Boulder, Pahvant & Beaver. Can you draw any of those by chance?

I tagged along with him on a hunt in the Beaver unit and it was unreal. We saw so many 340" class bulls, and to hear them called "Dinks" LOL!!!!

The client took a 385" and he took a little 365" consolation prize bull :rolleyes:

It looks like the Book Cliffs are 3 of the 5. I'd say go for what you can draw next year. As long as you have a good time then it's a success in my book. If your whole hunt revolves around a number on an animal then it might be more stressful then a guy would want for a dream hunt. Pick a hunt you'll enjoy and have a good chance at a nice bull.

Have you found a current draw odd report? You shouldn't be too far away from a manti or wasatch any weapon tag. Are you wanting a tag next yr no matter what? 12 points are a lot to burn on a muzzy tag IMO, but I'm leaning that way with my 8 pts. If I had 12 and lived in utah I'd stick it out a few more yrs, but if you have to hunt next yr then I'd rather do a muzzy hunt than late rifle.

I have a friend that guides on the Boulder, Pahvant & Beaver. Can you draw any of those by chance?

I tagged along with him on a hunt in the Beaver unit and it was unreal. We saw so many 340" class bulls, and to hear them called "Dinks" LOL!!!!

The client took a 385" and he took a little 365" consolation prize bull :rolleyes:

I'm about 3 years from muzzleloader on either of these units and about 5 from the rifle hunts.

Have you found a current draw odd report? You shouldn't be too far away from a manti or wasatch any weapon tag. Are you wanting a tag next yr no matter what? 12 points are a lot to burn on a muzzy tag IMO, but I'm leaning that way with my 8 pts. If I had 12 and lived in utah I'd stick it out a few more yrs, but if you have to hunt next yr then I'd rather do a muzzy hunt than late rifle.

I'm using Huntin' Fool's website but its data is a year old but not bad. Utah should have current data on the DWR website soon after the new year.

I don't have to draw next year but I'm itching to. I fear that if I wait too long to draw Indian Peaks (where I really want a tag) the chance at getting a big bull will be slim to impossible.

Yes, I want a big bull. It's 350+ or nothing. I've shot enough elk that I don't need to keep killing smaller ones. Cows taste just as good. Not worried about having fun. I have fun scouting and helping friends.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back