Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

If you had 10 Preference Points . . .

Hambone33

. . . and wanted to hunt a trophy bull during the 2008 blackpowder season in Colorado, which unit would you choose? Open to suggestions on good outfitters also.

You are in no man's land with 10 points. I assume you're a non-resident. You're still several years away, at best, from the 6 or so premiere units in the state. I'd hate to even suggest a unit for somebody to burn 10 points on, for fear of disappointment after waiting that long.

I was just talking to...... Well, a Friend of mine from Colorado :p and he went through the point system with me. There is alot of No man's land in Co. I wasn't aware it was like that. He said you can burn a tag on a good unit after 4 years (I think it was...) Or wait 13 or so on a great unit.

I have not been able to hunt CO so I jsut build points till I can Go. I might burn 7 points in a 3 point area but if i can't go I'm not going to just sit around not building points because I can't go in the next couple years.

My problem would be I would shoot a good critter in a great unit so Why not burn it to shoot a good critter in a Good unit and go 3 times as many times in my life ?!?!

Anyways, I'm deviating from your topic and I have no help so I'll back out.... Good luck Amigo !!!

I am sort of in the same situation for Utah. I have 7 or 8 points but the units I have been advised to put in for are a min. of 15 points. I really dont want to wait that long.....

Good luck in your search!!

Hate tell you, but in UT you still won't be garunteed anything with 15 points. I know folks with that many points that didn't draw the same unit Moosie did with only a couple of points. Heck, two years ago a co-worker drew a mtn goat tag on his second try! IMO, that's what makes UT's system more fair than some others.

Hate tell you, but in UT you still won't be garunteed anything with 15 points. I know folks with that many points that didn't draw the same unit Moosie did with only a couple of points. Heck, two years ago a co-worker drew a mtn goat tag on his second try! IMO, that's what makes UT's system more fair than some others.
Maybe as a resident, but 12 points would have drawn moosies tag as a NR, and 15 points would have drawn 2/3 of any LE tag.

Still not garunteed. Just say the unit has 20 non-res elk tags; 10 will go to those with the most points. But if more than 10 people with the most points puts in... Still not a lead pipe cinch...

check last years app info... moosies unit was a lock with less than 15 points by far

1-pointer,

Dont argue with Schmalts, he knows everything...including how small my wiener is because i send him pictures.

schmalts- I don't disagree that last year moosie's unit would have been a lock with 15 points. If UDWR has their stats right, anyone with 15 points would have been a lock, because no one had that many. 14 is the most they listed. However in 8 years there will be more people with the full number of points.

Sorry hambone, didn't mean to jack your thread. I was just throwing in my thoughts and comments. Hopefully someone will give you the info you need on Colorado.

I would save up a few more years and do unit 61. I have hunted rifle in 61 and there are a tremendous amount of bulls in that unit, they were bugling still in Nov. I just deer hunted it and saw elk down in the low country a few weeks ago.

Wishunter,

Thanks for the input. I had been looking at 61 for the past few years and have been researching outfitters in that unit but I am getting impatient because it seems to take 1 more point than I have every year. From what I've read that seems to be the unit and it must be good cause it takes a lot of points to get it. I was just wondering about other units that would be good that I could get into with my 10 points in next year's draw.

Back