Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Identify this rifle

jt13

I just recently inherited a couple of firearms from my future mother-in-law that belonged to my fiance's father who passed unexpectedly in 2013. There's a few guns I can't identify and would like some help with ID. The first two are on opposite ends of the spectrum and I'll post more the next time I am at the mother-in-law's house as I left most behind due to lack of space in my safes.

Gun 1- 300 Remington Ultra Mag. Christensen barrel and a Rem 700 action. Not sure if this is an old Christensen made factory gun or something custom made.
20200106_141807.jpg
20200105_143345.jpg

Gun 2: German double barrel shotgun. Early 1900s. Possible manufacturer is Behr?
20200110_115143.jpg
IMG_4435.jpg
IMG_4437.jpg
IMG_4436.jpgIMG_4438.jpg

Sorry for your loss. Those seem like pretty nice weapons.

The shotgun is a very nice piece. I'm not familiar with the Behr firm, but those Suhl made guns are usually a cut above field grade. The engraving on the action, gold inlays, etc indicate that while not a best quality gun, it's certainly in the upper end. If you disassemble the gun, you should see a bunch of proof marks, etc on the barrels & flats. That will tell you the gauge of the shotgun & cartridge length. It looks like a pre-war shotgun, and as such is probably short-chambered for today's 2 3/4 shells. Be sure to have the proper shell for this before firing.

Sorry for your loss, hunt those firearms.

The shotgun is a very nice piece. I'm not familiar with the Behr firm, but those Suhl made guns are usually a cut above field grade. The engraving on the action, gold inlays, etc indicate that while not a best quality gun, it's certainly in the upper end. If you disassemble the gun, you should see a bunch of proof marks, etc on the barrels & flats. That will tell you the gauge of the shotgun & cartridge length. It looks like a pre-war shotgun, and as such is probably short-chambered for today's 2 3/4 shells. Be sure to have the proper shell for this before firing.

Sorry for your loss, hunt those firearms.
Being unfamiliar with old shotguns, was there a standard shotshell length at that time period in that part of the world-- Suhl around 1905?

Last edited:
The first Christensen's were built on a 700 action. You shouldn't need that donut on that rifle. The .300 RUM is a nasty elk killer. mtmuley
Definitely taking the limbsaver donut off

I know that 300 RUM didnt come along until 1999 and I found a target with "Christensen" written on it dated 4/04

I tried some googling in reference to older Christensen's and a call to Christensen was helpful but they were unable to give me a %100 answer. Their best guess was that it was from the early 2000s and likely a consumer provided action and they built the gun but also possible it's a complete custom build using their barrels.

Reactions: Guy
Being unfamiliar with old shotguns, was there a standard shotshell length at that time period in that part of the world-- Suhl around 1905?

Could be 2 1/2", 2 5/8", or 2 3/4" chambers. If you take it apart, the watertable on the barrels should have the chamber length designated in mm. 70mm will be a 2 3/4" chamber.

Could be 2 1/2", 2 5/8", or 2 3/4" chambers. If you take it apart, the watertable on the barrels should have the chamber length designated in mm. 70mm will be a 2 3/4" chamber.

Yep, this. 65mm is the 2 1/2 shell. We may be able to give you a date on your firearm's year of manufacturing too if the photos of the proof marks are clear.

Back