Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Idaho Unit 75 Moose

gknutson

It looks like I drew a NR tag for unit 75 bull moose. This will be my first moose hunt. I was hoping to get some input on when I should plan my trip. We have been looking at Oct. 1st.ish. Will this be the best time to catch the rut ?

My 2 hunting buddies are going with me and were planning on hunting a week and a emergency return trip is not out of the question. Were planning to go DIY with a packer being the only exception.

Any input on the unit,timing, or hunting Shiras in general are welcomed. Thanks.

Oct 1 is a good time. Rutting action and no horde of deer hunters. However, they can move a lot looking for cows then and the leaves aren't off the trees yet making them harder to glass.

I think all three seasons have their merits and I'll be hunting them again myself on my dad's tag this fall. Early season you can find them in a smaller range, later you can call them in but the more I hunt them the more I like the late season. Big black bodies, no leaves and some snow make for good times.

One tip- contrary to popular belief they are not standing in ponds all day. Up high in the conifers or nasty thick brush is where they like to hang as well.

I haven't been in 75 so I'm of no help as far as spots. Good luck on your hunt, should be an epic trip. How far away are you coming from?

Thanks for the info MtnWest. We are coming from Southern Oklahoma. Google maps say 19h 20min. What unit will you be hunting in ? Thanks again.

Good for you getting a tag. I've got inlaws over the red river in N. Texas. I'll actually be next door across the road in 76-1. Here is a picture from an adjacent unit to yours around Oct 1, you're in for a treat.

IMG_2182.jpg

There are a lot of good areas in Unit 75. I had a very hard time deciding between the unit I drew and 75. Ultimately it came down to Unit 75 being twice the drive from my house (30 minutes instead of 15) and usually slightly lower drawing odds. I don't know of any special hot spots in 75, but there also aren't any areas that I would say couldn't have a good bull on any given day.

MtnWest's advice is sound. Even a big black moose can be hard to spot until the leaves fall, so don't give up on an area that looks good even if you've been there a dozen times and never found a moose before. They may be big and black, but they blend right into the shade of a maple tree most of the day.
I've seen a lot of moose, but I'm not sure I've ever found one standing out in a beaver pond. I'm sure it happens, but you'll have more luck if you pay attention to the places where they spend the other 95% of their day. They are likely to be close to water, but that isn't a sure thing. Any thick, tall deciduous patch is worth glassing several times. Aspen, chokecherry, elderberry, etc. provide both food and shade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back