Idaho unit 7 Moose 2020

Linetrash

Any chance anyone has any moose strategies for the hunt it 10-1 to 10-14?
Never hunted moose before. Should I bring a Bow too? I’ll be taking my boys in for this memorable hunt. 74007534-7E64-45D0-9A84-6F0DED4E898D.jpeg0F6FDE6A-7577-4DA0-B932-6B60769FBEFF.jpeg

e522681

Should be a fun hunt. Stock up on Donettes, Mtn Dew, and gas. Drive the multiple logging roads and glass the edge of old clear cuts. Bring a shotgun or 22 for the boys to shoot grouse and possibly a fly rod to fish the St. Joe. Bring the bow as you should gave plenty of opportunities. My son drew an ajoining unit a few years ago and we had a great time!

Definitely bring your bow. even if only for grouse.

Lots of clear cuts of various ages to glass. Lots of abandoned historic mining, logging, and railroad stuff to be found all over the unit. Tunnels on the Moon Pass Road.

Good stream fishing and some high lakes. Read the fishing regulations carefully, there is no Cutthroat harvest allowed on the St Joe, no bait allowed and barbless hooks required on the upper river and tributaries.

Plenty of hunting opportunity on either side of the river.

My sons and I spent a couple of sleepless nights about 15 years ago camped too close to a wolf pack. They carried on all night. Back then we were sure the wolves were going to kill us in our sleep. This was up near Freezeout Ridge just south of the unit.
I would get a wolf tag to have in my pocket.

I killed a nice Whitetail Buck north of the St Joe near Gray's Peak years ago.

That is a really great place to spend two weeks in October. Have a great trip.

We have seen/heard rutting moose in adjoining units from the last week of Sept into the rifle elk season in Oct. So should be some moose moving at that time and probably wouldn't hurt to try some calling. They can make a ton of noise with the grunting and crashing through brush which will get the blood pumping.

I thought the Wolves ate all the moose in the St. Joe...

Thinking back to a summer in the upper St. Joe. Was a foggy morning and I thought I'd missed haltering a horse. Got closer and saw it was a cow moose. If it had still been dark that mighta been a bit of a rodeo...

Man, I can’t tell you all how much I appreciate the input. We definitely plan on fishing, grousing, and trying to get as many smiles as possible! My youngest has been designated prime moose caller and we’re practicing now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back