Idaho Spring Black Bear Hunting for Dummies

I don't eat bear meat, it's poison. A bear rug with thick fur and long claws is a work of art, particularly color phases. I pretty much restrict my kills these days to blondes and unusual color phases and I've seen a few very unusual color phases. I sometimes trade claws with local jewelers for rings, watches etc.. And I give rugs from harvested bears to my friends and neighbor's kids. Kids love bear rugs.

Hannibal-- what's your opinion on scent attractants? Not so much picking a spot and baiting but more finding an area with bear sign than you want to sit and glass and doing a honey burn for that evening. Just something to maybe bring one out of the Bush.

Bear meat is not poison, many bears are taken in the fall as many states only allow fall bear hunting and baiting can be a very effective way of hunting, almost more effective that spot and stalk based on the reports I've received from friends and others.
Baiting vs other methods may spark discussion in Idaho, I don't know, I've never been there, but its safe to say based on the anecdotal comments here, there is plenty of success surrounding baiting.

I'm not even trying to defend baiting, but your strong opinion rubbed me the wrong way.

As someone wanting to try western bear hunting, all tips are important. However the strong opinions are a little much. I think there is room for all legal methods.

Last edited:
Bear meat is poison and bears aren't worth shooting unless there hours out of the den with flawless pelts and claws?? C'mon man.
You sound like your an expert in bear hunting. At first it sounded like you wanted to inform. Sounding more and more like your scolding anyone who doesn't do it exactly how you think it should be done.

I've only shot one bear. Ate the poison meat, tanned the worthless pelt and love the inferior claws.P1070131(1).jpg

Bear meat is poison and bears aren't worth shooting unless there hours out of the den with flawless pelts and claws?? C'mon man.
You sound like your an expert in bear hunting. At first it sounded like you wanted to inform. Sounding more and more like your scolding anyone who doesn't do it exactly how you think it should be done.

What I was thinking too.

Bear meat is not poison, many bears are taken in the fall as many states only allow fall bear hunting and baiting can be a very effective way of hunting, almost more effective that spot and stalk based on the reports I've received from friends and others.
Baiting vs other methods may spark discussion in Idaho, I don't know, I've never been there, but its safe to say based on the anecdotal comments here, there is plenty of success surrounding baiting.

I'm not even trying to defend baiting, but your strong opinion rubbed me the wrong way.

As someone wanting to try western bear hunting, all tips are important. However the strong opinions are a little much. I think there is room for all legal methods.

If you're fortunate enough to kill a black bear proper butchering, preparation and cooking are very important. I'd recommend marinading the meat in soy sauce, onion and ginger for 24 hours. Place the marinaded meat in a roasting pan, alongside a medium sized rock and roast in your oven at 350 degrees for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. When done (and I'm certain even Julia Child would agree with me on this) eat the rock.

Last edited:
I wouldn't fault the guy, maybe he doesn't like bear meat.

There are people that eat coyote... I'm not sure I could do it.

Hannibal's comments about bear baiters may have came off kind of brash as do mine occasionally, it happens with typed opinions. But he is entitled to his opinion. Let's try to be supportive and learn from each other. Maybe in his experience he is correct and for him baits is less effective in some areas. We try to learn from each other and I believe that is why we are here. I like hearing from everyone about what works for them. If he wants to try baiting again we should be supportive to try to make him successful in that endeavor. Maybe I've been doing spot and stalk wrong and that's why baiting is far better for me. About the claw and pelt condition he may have just shot enough that he is more selective. Same as people who only shoot "big" deer or elk. He just wants better quality of rugs. I'm more picky about color anymore too. I haven't shot a pure black yet the only ones I've seen were sows with cubs. All I see is blondeish/reds and Chocolates. A guy can only fit so many rugs in the house. And if he is correct and spot and stalk works well I may try it again.... after I set my baits.

Hannibal have you ever tried spot and stalk in the Salmon area? I'm thinking about trying a few spots there after I set down here. It takes a couple of weeks for them to start getting hit and in the interim I may try my luck at spot and stalk again. I'm just not sure when to go and look. It sounds like you look for the same things I do but I try to get there ahead of the bears and keep them around with delicious doughnuts and fried chicken bits. Your timing must be better.

Steelhead that's a great bear! I don't know to many that would pass on that on any time of year! Good job!

Last edited:
Worm and a bobber? Or a size 18 midge? I know what Ben Lamb would say...

Steelhead....beautiful bear!!! Do you see a lot of blonde bears where you hunt? I've seen several chocolate bears but never one like that, and a nice size bear to boot.

Baiting in Idaho is effective. And, that is how the archery kills happen.

There is a reason it is outlawed in some states, and it wasn't because it didn't work.

Hannibal's comments about bear baiters may have came off kind of brash as do mine occasionally, it happens with typed opinions. But he is entitled to his opinion. Let's try to be supportive and learn from each other. Maybe in his experience he is correct and for him baits is less effective in some areas. We try to learn from each other and I believe that is why we are here. I like hearing from everyone about what works for them. If he wants to try baiting again we should be supportive to try to make him successful in that endeavor. Maybe I've been doing spot and stalk wrong and that's why baiting is far better for me. About the claw and pelt condition he may have just shot enough that he is more selective. Same as people who only shoot "big" deer or elk. He just wants better quality of rugs. I'm more picky about color anymore too. I haven't shot a pure black yet the only ones I've seen were sows with cubs. All I see is blondeish/reds and Chocolates. A guy can only fit so many rugs in the house. And if he is correct and spot and stalk works well I may try it again.... after I set my baits.

Hannibal have you ever tried spot and stalk in the Salmon area? I'm thinking about trying a few spots there after I set down here. It takes a couple of weeks for them to start getting hit and in the interim I may try my luck at spot and stalk again. I'm just not sure when to go and look. It sounds like you look for the same things I do but I try to get there ahead of the bears and keep them around with delicious doughnuts and fried chicken bits. Your timing must be better.

Thank you for the kind response. There are more 'serious and practical reasons' for being selective regarding the condition of the pelts. I planned to include those reasons in the contents of my initial thread's subject matter but felt it would be somewhat out of context so I left it out. Since it addresses an important concern for me as well as other bear hunters I'll address that issue at some later time. It is important and does need to be addressed. I don't hunt the Salmon area for bears. Black color phase bears are ' elusive phantoms' in Idaho based on my experiences and lack of sightings. Some of the comments in your post suggest your hunting area is in the vicinity of Island Park.There is an area much closer to where you normally hunt where I've seen several black, black bears. Send me a pm and I'll give you the location.

Baiting in Idaho is effective. And, that is how the archery kills happen.

There is a reason it is outlawed in some states, and it wasn't because it didn't work.

This /\ /\

Years back me and a buddy had baits in the Selway. No shortage of bears and I shot one that scored 18 4/16. We ended 3 for 3 and passed many.

,It is a lot of work but you do get to see lots of bears up close.

New hunters to the sport of bear hunting, as well as inexperienced bear hunters seek advice on methods and recommendations on where to hunt spring black bears. 'Superfluous' opinions, hearsay and the 'muscle flexing' photo of your kill does nothing to increase their knowledge of the sport. North Idaho offers a great opportunity to bag one or more spring bears and statistics clearly justify my 'overzealous promotion' of the state. If anyone wishes to offer what they believe to be a more effective, practical method ( based on experience) such as baiting, calling etc., then present it in the forum and let the members of this forum decide which method to use. Trolling, unfortunately, is no such method.

Last edited:
I didn't take Hannibal literally when he said bear meat is poison. But you can certainly catch some cooties from it if you're not careful. Trichinella worms = cooties I don't want.

New hunters to the sport of bear hunting, as well as inexperienced bear hunters seek advice on methods and recommendations on where to hunt spring black bears. 'Superfluous' opinions, hearsay and the 'muscle flexing' photo of your kill does nothing to increase their knowledge of the sport. North Idaho offers a great opportunity to bag one or more spring bears and statistics clearly justify my 'overzealous promotion' of the state. If anyone wishes to offer a more effective, practical method ( based on experience) such as baiting, calling etc., then present it in the forum and let the members of this forum decide which method to use. Trolling, unfortunately, is no such method.

There is no "opinion" that needs to be presented to the forum.

Spot and stalk, in Idaho, is the least successful and least efficient method of hunting Spring Bears. Period.

To argue otherwise is to profess ignorance of the other methods.

Spot and stalk in Idaho is the least amount of work, and is the easiest to attempt. Period.

That is not trolling. It is not "opinion". It is fact.

Back