Idaho Spring Bear unit 22 & 31

Brock-ID

I finally drew this tag this year for the first time. I am usually a bait hunter but I can't do that in this unit. I will be putting my bino's and spotting scope to good use this spring. Does anyone have any thing they can tell me about the unit like snow lines, food sources, timing, what to look for and what to avoid?

Thanks for reading.

I used to work in those units and spend lots of time observing bears. Don't be to anxious to get out there. Usually early in the hunt bears are few and far between. (obviously depending on weather etc.) Start as high as you are able then work lower. Lots of neat colors in those units. A few years ago there were 3 beautiful pure blonde bears in 22. I sure wish I could draw that tag. Only about 10 years now without drawing. Have fun. If is still lived over there I would go with ya.

I hunt that unit, but not for bears, but I die see several while I was hunting up there, seems too be a decent about of bears in 22, plenty of roads in that unit, I would concentrate on all the clear cuts that have thicker brush growing on them and also south facing slopes that have lots of newly green grass....
Matt

I used to work in those units and spend lots of time observing bears. Don't be to anxious to get out there. Usually early in the hunt bears are few and far between. (obviously depending on weather etc.) Start as high as you are able then work lower. Lots of neat colors in those units. A few years ago there were 3 beautiful pure blonde bears in 22. I sure wish I could draw that tag. Only about 10 years now without drawing. Have fun. If is still lived over there I would go with ya.

I am anxious to put my glass to work, especially after the weather we are getting now. I am looking at south-southwest slopes to start. I really don't care about color, I am most interested in the metod. My perfect hunt would be a stalk to about 15 yards and a well placed arrow.

I hunt that unit, but not for bears, but I die see several while I was hunting up there, seems too be a decent about of bears in 22, plenty of roads in that unit, I would concentrate on all the clear cuts that have thicker brush growing on them and also south facing slopes that have lots of newly green grass....
Matt

I have seen that there are alot of roads also, I will go to F/S and get a travel map and try to use that to my advantage.

go kill a big one! You won't have any issues.
I do wonder if distress calling or a lost calf call would work to pull them into bow range.
Good luck! Can't wait to see the pictures.

sit and glass some clearings like was mentioned. I was able to get very close to a lot of bears in that unit. I had a young brown one come down to the house every night. Drove my lab nuts but he didn't mind.

I spent some time over there this weekend and think I found a few areas. Thank you everyone for the feedback abd the PM's. I am really looking forward to this hunt.

the snow pack is melting off over here in oregon,,,fair access to about the 4000ft level ,,,good luck over in idaho,,,Im leaving for n e oregon the 27th for a week of bear hunting also,,,first part of may usually is when they start moving around good and hopefully not rubbed there hair yet,,,look for the purple flowers,they are wild onions and bears love em.you should see plenty in unit 22 idaho by then.

Gage- it was good running into you up there!

May for sure plus you can get in the higher country. May 20th for my bear and I couldn't get in there two weeks prior. Almost burnt myself out by the time the bears were real active. I'll keep an eye out if we go back for my sons turkey tag. Most likely near where I mentioned this bear was.

-Brent

My dad with the bear.
IMG_1484_Small.jpg

Brent, It was good to meet you and your son, I hope he is able to connect with a turkey. That is a good looking bear! I am headed up every weekend, I have talked to other people that have hunted these units in the past and they all say I will see more later in the season.

dan.kirkpatrick, I am looking for the purple flowers and havn't seen any yet, but I will. Good luck in Oregon for your week!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back