Idaho: Sportman's Combo Tag

LandDiver

So I went in today to see if the new rules and regulations book came out for 2017 yet, which it didn't. While I was there I remember an older gentlemen telling me to get the sportsman combo last year. So I asked about it, and the total cost seemed like a steal of a deal. My only concern would be wasting tags on animals I have no clue where to find. My main goal this year again will be filling the freezer with a deer and an elk. Which didn't happen my first time hunting last year lol. I would actually love to try bear. As far as the wolf and lion tags I'd like to know what happens to the animal if one is harvested. Are there places that take the meat? Turkey sounds like fun. The whole deal is very attractive, as its more oppoutunities to hunt.

Thanks.

Geez almighty that is an awesome deal. I wish they did something like that for NR for maybe $900-$1000. If I was a resident I would definitely purchase that every year.

With that being said, sorry but I don't know much up that way. Hope all goes well with it this year though.

I always buy one. (Actually it's a Christmas gift) it's nice having the tags, if an opportunity arises. Besides,a little extra money in f&g budget can't be all bad.

I buy the sportsmans package some years. It does pay to have a wolf, bear, or lion tag on those off chance encounters. Wolf meat is not suggested to be eaten. Wolves eat a lot of nasty things all the time. The odds of a wolf being filled with parasites is far greater than it being clean. Shooting one is mostly a population control measure by fish and game. I skinned mine, kept the skull, cut the glands out to make trapping lure, and burned the carcass to limit any disease transmission to birds, scavengers, or anything else. I also sprayed the hide with insecticide to kill any creepy crawlies. I've heard of lion being eaten. I have not killed one. Bear is pretty good but cook it well. You don't have to salvage the meat from a bear legally. I like bear but have seen one so nasty when skinned we burned it. Cysts, wormy, puss filled sores it had them all. Just be careful and research what to look for. You may feel like you waste tags some years but when an opportunity presents itself you'll be glad you have it. Plus a slow day hunting can lead to a good day of steelhead fishing.

I buy the package each year.

combination license33.50
deer tag19.75
elk tag30.75
bear tag11.50
lion tag11.50
wolf tag11.50
turkey tag19.75
steelhead permit12.75
salmon permit12.75
archery permit18.25
muzzleloader permit18.25
Total if purchased separately200.25
Sportsman's package124.25
Savings76.00
https://idfg.idaho.gov/licenses/fees-resident

If I fish for salmon and steelhead, and hunt deer and elk, and at least one hunt is in archery season, I'm money ahead. Plus, if I happen to see a bear or wolf while hunting or get invited on a turkey hunt, I'm already covered.

I buy the sportsmen's combo every year. It's a steal. They should double or triple the price for the amount of fun I get from it.

I buy the sportsmen's combo every year. It's a steal. They should double or triple the price for the amount of fun I get from it.

That's pretty funny. The outrage that would happen if they really did triple the price would be unimagineable.

Thanks everyone. I really do want to get into Steelhead and Salmon fishing here in Idaho. Something I really want to do with my son. As for the other tags it seems like they are more for northern Idaho. I don't think I'll see any wolfs or lions anywhere within a few hours of me here in Mountain Home.

I do plan on doing some serious scouting when the mountains clear. Really want to make the best out of this coming September. I will think harder about this package. I guess you pick out your certain unit when they come up. For now you just get a long list of receipts. Still very excited for this new year of hunting. Hope I can use what I learned from last year and being something home with my bow.

Thanks everybody.

I buy the sportsmans package some years. It does pay to have a wolf, bear, or lion tag on those off chance encounters. Wolf meat is not suggested to be eaten. Wolves eat a lot of nasty things all the time. The odds of a wolf being filled with parasites is far greater than it being clean. Shooting one is mostly a population control measure by fish and game. I skinned mine, kept the skull, cut the glands out to make trapping lure, and burned the carcass to limit any disease transmission to birds, scavengers, or anything else. I also sprayed the hide with insecticide to kill any creepy crawlies. I've heard of lion being eaten. I have not killed one. Bear is pretty good but cook it well. You don't have to salvage the meat from a bear legally. I like bear but have seen one so nasty when skinned we burned it. Cysts, wormy, puss filled sores it had them all. Just be careful and research what to look for. You may feel like you waste tags some years but when an opportunity presents itself you'll be glad you have it. Plus a slow day hunting can lead to a good day of steelhead fishing.

Never would have thought of all that. Thank you. I'll read up on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back