Idaho Sage Grouse Numbers Up

Nemont

June 10, 2004

Last modified June 10, 2004 - 1:27 am

Idaho sage grouse numbers see spring rebound
Associated Press

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The number of sage grouse, proposed for possible listing under the Endangered Species List, is increasing in Idaho's deserts, but biologists remain concerned about the effect of wildfires on critical sagebrush habitat.

Spring counts of the birds are up at breeding grounds from northeastern Idaho to the Owyhees, state wildlife program coordinator Tom Hemker said Monday. In the Twin Falls region, grouse have increased 113 percent since 1994.

"That's pretty common throughout the state. But it's still not the kind of numbers we saw in the 1960s" Hemker said.

Sage grouse are one of Idaho's largest birds and the second-largest game bird, behind the wild turkey. As a species, they range widely in 11 western states and two Canadian provinces.

They live almost exclusively in remote, open wildlands and require plenty of sagebrush plants for both food and shelter.

In springtime, the birds congregate on mating grounds called leks, where males step out into clearings, puff out colored skin sacks on their chest, strut and call to the females waiting in nearby cover.

Earlier this year, the Fish and Wildlife Service concluded that there was enough biological evidence to support a closer study of whether the birds warrant listing under the Endangered Species Act.

If that happened, vast tracts of private and public land could come under new regulations that mandate stricter land-use policies to support recovery.

"We would spend a lot of time and money making a lot of decisions that would not necessarily help the sage grouse," Hemker said.

The Idaho Conservation League, an environmental group, believes the long-term population decline is due to numerous influences, including wildfire, weeds and nonnative plant infestations.

League board member Ted Chu of Idaho Falls said the recent recovery is a short-term response to favorable weather conditions, especially damp springs that increase insect populations.

"They may be stabilizing or even rebounding a little, but it's too early to tell whether it's a meaningful recovery or a response to favorable weather," he said.
Nemont

I don't think my counts were included on this. the counts are on routes. My area didn't have a route so part of my job was to make the routes. I did have historic records of the leks and all mine were up between 75% to 200%
I saw the rough draft of this and while my counts were brought up they said next year they would be counted because they now have a data base in route form. Ron

They won't be afterOctober! Seriously though, any of you guys hunt them with an air pistol?

Seriously though, any of you guys hunt them with an air pistol?
I am not sure you want to take on a sage grouse with an air pistol. Maybe sharptail grouse or blue grouse but sage grouse are pretty hardy.

Nemont

It is illegal to kill a sage grouse with a air rifle in Idaho. The only game birds a person can hunt with a air rifle or any rifle for that matter is forest grouse. Ron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back