Caribou Gear

Idaho Points System

Appears to be dead...at least for now.

Also some changes were made to the landowner tag system, might be some upset rich guys in the next couple years.

Beautiful. I never really felt like the commission had the right system in the bonus point proposal. Now if we can just get back pyrodex in the blackpowder season. . .

smarandr, looking at the regs, it says you can use loose black powder, loose pyrodex, or loose black powder substitute. It's the sabot/powerbelt thing that sorta changes things, in my opinion.

smarandr, looking at the regs, it says you can use loose black powder, loose pyrodex, or loose black powder substitute. It's the sabot/powerbelt thing that sorta changes things, in my opinion.

Seems like I read that there was a proposal to allow sabots again too, do you recall anything like that?

Sabots were on the agenda, I believe they were denied.

mdhunter, wolves didn't get a free pass at the meeting either, looks like electronic calls and trapping will both be allowed this fall if a season happens. IMO Idaho is doing a good job of managing wolves as a big game animal, we've only had full state management for about a year now.

I hope they aint teasing about a trapping season!...And i also hope every tom,dick and harry dont run out and buy traps to stick in the dirt.

Why would we not want a point system? I have been putting in for a Bighorn tag for 10 years. I would like anything that would help my chances.

Having a point system wouldn't help your chances, in fact it would more than likely make them worse. Running the numbers (draw odds, etc.) with a point system makes things get really scary, really fast. The only hunts a point system looks remotely good for are those that already have decent draw odds, for hard to draw tags (sheep, late buck hunts, early elk, etc) they become a nightmare.

Idaho is a great state to hunt. I wish they would start a point system like Nevada, they square their points.
Example:
1 point would be 1X1+1=2 chances in the drawing
3 points would be 3X3+1=10 chances
9 points would be 9X9+1=82 chances
This way everybody still has a chance beit increases fast.

But its your state and only your opinions should count here.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back