Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho over the counter mule deer advice

Hunter/nh2mt

Looking into doing a deer hunt in Idaho this fall, was hopeing to concentrate on mule deer. Been looking on Idaho’s data but looking for some opinions on units I should try. My wife and I would be hunting together, looking at doing day hunts rather than a back country hunt. Never hunted Idaho so any help would be great.

Your location shows Montana.... Why go past great mule deer hunting to get to other mule deer? Just curious

Because the grass is always greener on the other side of the boarder.

The deer are better on the Idaho side of the boarder. Back in the early 90's I spent time on both sides of the boarder looking for antlers. In Mt I found only one big old mule deer antler. Twenty five miles into Idaho was the best place I ever looked for antlers. Fifty antlers from deer scoring form 175 to over 200. The difference between MT and ID was night and day.

Your location shows Montana.... Why go past great mule deer hunting to get to other mule deer? Just curious

I assume he's also hunting Montana, so the reason would be to shoot two mule deer in one season.

Because the grass is always greener on the other side of the boarder.

The deer are better on the Idaho side of the boarder. Back in the early 90's I spent time on both sides of the boarder looking for antlers. In Mt I found only one big old mule deer antler. Twenty five miles into Idaho was the best place I ever looked for antlers. Fifty antlers from deer scoring form 175 to over 200. The difference between MT and ID was night and day.

I'm leery that anecdotal observations made in the 90s are still relevant today. Particularly in the wake of recent record winterkill throughout the region.

I'm from SE Idaho, and can tell you that hunter numbers are going up here and that sometimes access is limited with the large amount of private property around. That being said, I have still seen big bucks come out of the southern/southeast part of the state. I think like anywhere, if you are willing to get out and away from the crowds (especially after opening day) you can find a respectable buck. The reason I mentioned opening day is that I have seen nice deer still sneaking around when the boomsticks light up, and sometimes you can catch them heading to their hidey holes. That's my 2 cents on the matter and others may have noticed differences!

Doubtful. In almost 10 years of OYOA/Fresh Tracks how many Idaho mule deer episodes (or any Idaho hunts) has Randy aired?

1.) Randy has explained why he hasn't hunted ID a bunch of times between elk talk,podcasts and on the forum. It has nothing to due with quality but more so to do with scheduling being that ID is one of the last states to run their big game LQ drawings.

2.) ID does not have an OTC deer hunt that lasts through the entire month of November and through peak rutting season. Montana does. It's extremely difficult for a buck to make it through his most vulnerable stage of his life while thousands of hunters are out with rifles hunting the public lands. ID probably has just as many hunters during their OTC hunts but those hunts are taking place at the hardest time of the year to kill a mature buck on public ground. Do I think there are giants all over the place on OTC general hunts in ID? No. Do I think the overall quality and odds of shooting a mature buck on public ground is better than in MT? Yes.

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot the tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

I figured my statement was a nice way to poke some fun at our host and give a super general answer to a super general question. I'm well aware of the logistical difficulties surrounding Fresh Tracks and Idaho hunting.

I am going to have to agree with huntid73 . I hunted units 75 and 76 in 2016, and while I scouted up some great bucks in the preseason come opening morning I found a ton of out of state hunters in the area. Granted, I am an out of state hunter too, but with my family being from the Bear Lake valley Idaho side I get up there quite a bit in the summer and feel more like a dual resident. There are consistently some great bucks harvested in those areas, but I think you need to get off the beaten path and maybe hunt later in the season to reduce the number of competition driving up and down the roads on UTV's.

Where I live it is mostly whitetail and I have access right out my back door to some pretty good hunting where I see plenty of bucks and almost no other hunters. This way I could get so mule deer hunting in plus still be able to hunt whitetails at home.

1.) Randy has explained why he hasn't hunted ID a bunch of times between elk talk,podcasts and on the forum. It has nothing to due with quality but more so to do with scheduling being that ID is one of the last states to run their big game LQ drawings.

2.) ID does not have an OTC deer hunt that lasts through the entire month of November and through peak rutting season. Montana does. It's extremely difficult for a buck to make it through his most vulnerable stage of his life while thousands of hunters are out with rifles hunting the public lands. ID probably has just as many hunters during their OTC hunts but those hunts are taking place at the hardest time of the year to kill a mature buck on public ground. Do I think there are giants all over the place on OTC general hunts in ID? No. Do I think the overall quality and odds of shooting a mature buck on public ground is better than in MT? Yes.

+1. Well said

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back