Idaho OTC Bull Tag

JWhunter

I live in filer and me and my dad are planing on going after bulls this fall in a OTC unit.But we are considering 39,36,66, or 78? What would you recommend we are not after trophies but would like to get a 250+ bull. We need to harvest at least ones so we would rather have numbers than trophy animals. Thank you for your time and info.:confused:

Are there OTC tags still available out there? Have you done any research on your own on any of those units or just guessing and hoping someone steers you in the right direction?

We know unit 36 pretty well, but are unsure of elk numbers as we haven't been there for a 2-3 years. I have read about 66 and hear it holds some nice bulls. But I am looking for starting points not honey holes. I really like the sounds of 39 but it sounds pretty dependent on weather. I know 36 holds some elk. We are willing to work we have horse and will get away from roads and people we would just like to hear some peoples opnions on these units. Thanks for your time.

I've spent a fair amount of time in 66 during the general rifle hunts. Parts of it are an absolute zoo with people. A large percentage of them will have horses, I'm not sure there is anywhere in there where you could really get away. Almost every elk I've seen come out of there seemed to be from pure blind luck of being in the right place at the right time as an elk got pushed past someone. That said there are some surprisingly nice bulls that are taken every year in there.

Thanks for the insite... i would really like to stick to 36 or 39 if at all possible.

Are there OTC tags still available out there? Have you done any research on your own on any of those units or just guessing and hoping someone steers you in the right direction?

LOL, that is what I was thinking.

Go north up 21 past Idaho city 15 miles, turn right and drive another 12 miles on the dirt road, set up camp, hike up the ridge 1.5 miles, bugle and you should find a 400" bull within 100 yards of where I left him. But don't tell anyone else of this spot.

Good luck.

Alright i understand it looks bad because i'm a newbie I'm also a young hunter anyways ...thanks for any help and thanks for your time because i realize how it may frustrate you and others because it upsets me when people draw a tag i put in for and post for help and dont know the unit at all..... anyhow thanks again.

78 has elk but it also has quite a bit of private property. 66 is about how it was described-people may chase something by you. If you are willing to walk/ride your horse I would go with 66 based on my knowledge-don't know much about the others. You still can get away from people in 66. Good Luck-if you find them let me know;)

If you know 36 then why change. Numbers aren't great but I watched a few last week.

What would you recommend we are not after trophies but would like to get a 250+ bull. We need to harvest at least ones so we would rather have numbers than trophy animals. Thank you for your time and info.:confused:

Why do you "need to harvest" a bull?

And, where did you get "250+" from?

Those are pretty unrealistic expectations on the units you are asking about, so, depending on your logic behind "need to harvest" and looking for a "250+ bull", you might want to reconsider your options.

Give the kid a break....he's asking for opinions on the units. A 250" bull is not a big bull.

Jw I have a few questions for you. What draw units do you hear of the biggest bulls in Idaho coming from? What units do the people you know always put in for elk draw? Can you get an over the counter bow tag for them? Well then if you truly need to get a bull why not try one of those.
Fyi the only reason they are giving you a hard time is because no one here knows you and you just show up and start asking for help with nothing in return so stick around for a while and help a few guys out with what you can. Next year more guys will be willing to answer your questions.
Either way good luck on you're hunt and get up there and use those young legs to chase down some elk while you can.

Those are all. Good questions and thanks for the advice... i didnt draw a tag and i am just getting into bowhunting so i want to keep practicing so i can make anethical kill

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back