Idaho Middle Fork

Thanks Buzz and JLS. I will definitely look into a rattlesnake bite kit.
Brymoore and Buzz, very much appreciate your insight on locations to fly into. I am thinking now that I will most definitely fly there, now just to decide which aviation company and which location.

Thanks Buzz and JLS. I will definitely look into a rattlesnake bite kit.
Brymoore and Buzz, very much appreciate your insight on locations to fly into. I am thinking now that I will most definitely fly there, now just to decide which aviation company and which location.

Forget the snake bite kit. They're worthless.

I don't doubt that...Stoddard is a monster. It's not a question of "if" in that country, only when and how bad...

Yes, the middle fork is full of rattlesnakes, little loon was loaded with them.

I flat admit it...that country is tougher than I am.

About 20 years ago a buddy and I were seriously considering purchasing an outfitting business that was for sale (Stan Potts) in the Stoddard Creek area. I talked at length with him on the phone, and my buddy and I decided to do the early rifle hunt in the Frank so we could see firsthand what we would be looking at.

The unanimous vote was something along the lines of "Fu#* that". He packed a lot of hunters and elk out of that canyon, and I have a hell of a lot of respect for him.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Middle Fork, and, as others have said, it ain't worth hunting Elk, in my opinion.

And, 600' of elevation won't get much accomplished in that country.

That being said, it is one of my favorite spots on Earth, and love every day I get to spend in that country.

Good luck.

Been Hunting Unit 27 for years. Here's a motivational buck picture Unit 27 9X6 Non-typical.........MikesMonster.jpg

The middle fork has been one of my favorite places to hunt. It is rough country but if you're in even decent shape you'll be fine. I started hunting it when I was 14 years old and have met several guys in their 60's in there. If you're moving 7 miles with a loaded pack you'll be fine. I'd recommend hunting with a pack frame everyday so you don't have to make another trip though.

I would recommend flying in. It definitely adds to the experience. As far as an air taxi I've flown with Middle Fork Aviation, McCall Aviation, and Arnold Aviation and have had great experiences with all of them.

There are certain air strips that are known for elk and some that are known for deer. A guy can hunt them both from the same air strip but it always seemed to us the elk had their areas and the deer had theirs. We were always after deer but I've seen a few dandy bulls in there.

Any reason why you're going in so early?

Thanks for the motivation DeepCountry! That should get my buddy pretty excited.
Fire_9 I am pretty much sold on the air taxi idea, and very excited about it too. We are really hoping to come across both elk and deer. As far as our dates set for hunting, I am expecting my first born child November 19th, and since I live in California, I want to make sure to be back in time for his birth. My buddy is expecting his baby girl 3 weeks after mine so we have to get the hunting out of the way early.

Regarding timing - early October you might find bulls still bugling but deer will be scarce. If you waited until the last week of October, deer are getting active but elk won't be vocal. Given a choice, I'd probably hunt the last week of October.

Here's a buck I shot as a consolation on a sheep hunt.
image_7.jpeg
m

That's most definitely a legit reason for going early. My dad hunted that area from '80 to around '94 or '95. The only year he missed in that time frame was '87, which was when I was born. It's one of the few hunting trips I've screwed up for him...

Back