Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho First Timer - Solo

Zebulon Pike

After being unsuccessful in my/our applications for Pronghorn and Elk my friends have decided to wait for next year. I know next year is not guaranteed to any of us so I'm planning to do a 10 day solo deer hunt in Idaho this fall. I am looking for input on if you would hunt the opener or wait to hunt the later weeks with hopes of more rutting action. First time to Idaho and first Mule deer hunt.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm far from an expert on hunting mule deer in ID. However, what I have learned is that being there on the opener can pay dividends, but be prepared for a hunters orange circus in lot of places. Shot my biggest buck to date on the second day of season. Pretty sure it was pushed to me by other hunters. My pard who lives there likes to hunt the first couple of days, for an instance like that, then goes back out the last week or so. The fly in the ointment is that he can watch and play the weather. Harder to do that from KY than 3hrs from where you hunt...

I'll take the alternative position to 1 Pointer and say come late. Mile deer hunting is easier once they get close to the migration/rut.

I'll take the alternative position to 1 Pointer and say come late. Mile deer hunting is easier once they get close to the migration/rut.
My pard would agree with you for the most part. I do to an extent, but it can depend on the unit/area. I'm just a bit of a weather weanie... 'Twould love the opportunity to have resident tags and be able to try both! Pretty positive that will never happen.

My pard would agree with you for the most part. I do to an extent, but it can depend on the unit/area. I'm just a bit of a weather weanie... 'Twould love the opportunity to have resident tags and be able to try both! Pretty positive that will never happen.

My opinion doesn't stop me from hunting the whole season. I just know that the majority of MD bucks I kill are in the last few days of season.

The latter the better
Can be hot as hell first part of October
And the bucks are starting to rut last of the month

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I submitted my vacation request to hunt the end of the month. The Idaho onXmap chip arrived today. Time to start putting together the plan.

Best of luck to everyone on your hunts.

Back