Idaho elk

My daughter's live in boise and want to elk hunt in idaho.we spent 8 days on the north fork of boise river hiking the trails including the saw tooth wilderness. Looks like there some elk around there. Not afraid to go in a few miles from the trail head. Is that a ok over the counter rifle hunt. Any one willing to give some advice.

Thanks for responding. I seen plenty of elk sign just don't want to get in the middle of a mess of hunters. My girls grew up hunting in nevada were it is easy to have lots of country to your self.

Unit 39. That area gets heavily pressured during that short 8 day season. Especially right where the North Fork meets the Middle Fork. You can get away from most of the crowds if you google earth spots that are 3-5 miles from any road in any direction. Everything right around the roads is a pumpkin patch of blaze orange.

Unit 39. That area gets heavily pressured during that short 8 day season. Especially right where the North Fork meets the Middle Fork. You can get away from most of the crowds if you google earth spots that are 3-5 miles from any road in any direction. Everything right around the roads is a pumpkin patch of blaze orange.

I have heard that sense they have locked out the ATV's from some of the trails it is better, is this true?

I am going A tag 39 in November.

It's not just the motorcycles and quads. There are lots of people that will hike about a mile in in the general area I mentioned, via a few of those gated non motorized 2 tracks. There are just quite a few hunters, that terrain isn't rough enough to keep people out. But there are a few elk running around, not a ton, but some.

It's the heaviest hunted elk unit in the state. You're going to see people.

Have a plan for getting the meat out quickly. If is your first time packing an elk miles then can be difficult to understand the challenge at hand even if temperatures are not warm during the hunt. Hunting 3 miles in is easy. Packing the Elk out is an entirely different challenge.

Yes, that is true. I have packed a few out. I bone them out then hang bags in shade. In Nov. The nights get cool enough. Knock on wood I haven't lost any meet so far. Never killed one in September, that would be a different story I'm sure.

Back