Idaho elk and bear area

*Bowdude*

For those that know Idaho. I am thinking of coming out there a year from now to do some bear hunting on my own and to get to know the country for ARCHERY elk in the fall. Elk being the predominate reason.
I have been hunting Colorado wilderness areas for elk and every time I go it takes a good 4 days to get acclimated at hunting 8500 to 10000 feet. I see most of northern Idaho is under 6000 feet. This would help me out a great deal.
I am not asking for a specific spot to take away your honey hole, but can someone point me to a reasonable area? Need not be a trophy elk spot, just don't want to waste my time for a season trying to get into elk. I was considering 10 and 12 but noticed another thread that 10 was not too impressive?
Thanks in advance guys, hope you have a great and safe season.

I can't help much with elk in northern Idaho, other than that I know from what I've read and heard, that it can be very difficult hunting. What I'm wondering is why don't you consider hunting Montana instead, since it's closer to Wisconsin, and I believe you could get into just as good, if not better, elk hunting, and probably in a little bit easier terrain than northern Idaho. Montana also has decent bear hunting.

elk and bear

I was under the impression Montana was guided only for non residents? Also that Idaho was easier to get a tag?

Well, that is true, Idaho does have over-the-counter elk tags. Montana you have to apply and get drawn, but I don't believe odds are bad, I'd guess around 50%. A guide isn't required to hunt but your tags are guaranteed if you go with a guide, although the price is outrageous, in my opinion. (around $1200 I believe) You might apply for Montana, and then if not drawn, buy an Idaho tag and hunt there.

Don't bother with Idaho. Haven't you heard? The wolves have eaten all of the elk and now I hear that they are starting in on the bears. By next year there won't be any of those left either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Montana is a way better option.

Oh, I hear Idaho is way better, look up their FG web site much higher success ratio than old Montana. You know Wyoming might be a better place it's got way more public lands. Montana does'nt have many bear in the Book.
I think the wolves got most the wild elk here, as Yellowstone herd is down to a 1/3 of what it use to be.

Without giving away any honey holes, I hunt elk, deer, and bear in the Clearwater Region, Unit 10A. Some areas its pretty darn tough, others its a cake walk.

Theres elk all over unit 76. Lots of people hunt it, but the herd continues to expand. This is an east Idaho unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back