Idaho 2010 2011

whitehawk

I was thinking of Idaho for Muley or Elk. I called fish and game dept and they have loads of tags left for this yr. Is this normal? I've heard that may be a sign of low numbers of animals? What do you Idaho guys say? Any insight would be great.
Thanks

There are still deer, and elk, but you'll have to work a little harder, there's a bit of a canine issue, that the feds won't let us manage. If you've got an idea where you want to hunt, someone may be able to help more.

2 years ago you could not buy a deer tag after the general deer season started. Now with the non res fee increase and the wolves doing what they do best, getting a tag is easy, filling it with a quality critter might be a little tougher

Check the previous years harvest information on the IDFG website. That should give you a good idea of which units are producing, and the size of animals coming out.

Look at Southern/Southeastern Idaho. Pretty much no wolf activity at all and still quite a few deer and elk to be found. Had great winter survival and lots of animals had twins from reports and observations. Should be a good year in those parts of the state for deer and elk.

I think Idaho has managed Deer and elk for ease of draws and longer seasons and have recently cut back after numbers and sales have gone down. And to add preditors and poaching, Numbers are declining.

That being said... I have no worries about going up and gettign an elk or deer, someone has to.... ;)

The deer tags may start to go out fast as we are almost to the date that residents can buy the non resident tags to get an additional tag. If you can find an area without too many wolves, the elk numbers are still good. You have to be willing to walk in further than anyone else to get into a lot of elk. The Sep archery hunt can still be very productive.

I don't think Deer tags have sold out for Years actually.... Elk, yes every year... Deer ? No.
like mule crazy said. A couple of years ago the tags were gone before the end of the general season. I know because I bought them every year. This only started happening after IDFG allowed residents to buy extra tags at nonres prices. With the increase I don't see them selling out but you never know.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back