ID general archery deer

It's been a few years since my boots were there, but the late archery hunt in unit 39 was amazingly fun. You see A LOT of animals.

If you plan on hunting 36A, then I wouldn't expect to see near the deer numbers you saw in November elk hunting. I also went elk hunting a few years ago on a cow tag in Nov. The amount of deer was ridiculous, however I have been back up there camping and hiking to which I haven't seen even half the number of deer I saw in Nov. I think if you spot and stalked in that unit and used your glass first, that might help. Unit 35 seems to have a lot of deer running around, so if that is your other option, you might see more animals in bow range.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh Cushman. Good comeback though, I really enjoyed watching you deflect everythinh rather than directly address it. You do your thing and ill do mine, I do contribute as i have on this thread above but again i guess you cant read or thats your definition of spoon feeding. Either way its better than a sarcastic "id start by looking in the woods" or some other smartass remark to make yourself feel a little bit better about yourself.

if im not mistaken Brad Paisley did a song on you and this doesnt require reading so hopefully itll make sense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE6iAjEv9dQ

more helpful info, thanks everyone. sagebrush slayer, unit 35 is new to me this year so i will extra research there, thanks. brian, I have been working on the wind issue this last year and will keep what you said in mind. t bone, i have heard about that hunt, and i thought that it was a draw only tag for the late 39 buck? john, i am shooting a PSE and using a nikon 550 RF. duck-slayer, i will pm you some time today, thanks.

i have heard about that hunt, and i thought that it was a draw only tag for the late 39 buck? .

You are correct to some regard as there is a late migration hunt 39-3 (but is just the Boise front/foothills, which is closed during the general 39 archery hunt), but what T-bone is talking about is an OTC tag. Runs from around 11/14-11/30, it is either sex. Check the regs.

After I took my 29th buck with a bow it finally dawned on me how much time it takes to do it right. You need to shoot every day of the year. Never stop scouting. Shoot the very best equipment you can afford. Hang around the right bow shops....and listen very closely to what is said and what isn't. I hung my bow up a few years back but I must say that these guys that bow hunt for elk may pull me back across the line.

Many guys do want help for various reasons, if they appear lazy then dont help them but many guys genuinely do not know where to start and just need a point in the right direction.

Let me draw this in the sand for you:

If you go to Home Depot and walk in the door and ask how to build a deck, they arent going to ask if youre a contractor or that you give em your life story to determine if they should be helped but they WILL show you where the lumber is, where the screws can be found and of course the concrete. This might be a silly example but one thats spot on at the core.

If you want to deter people from asking questions if they dont have the "credentials" thats fine but in the meantime ill show em to screws, lumber and concrete...

I'll enjoy hunting with my "friends" that I've met on here in Wyoming and Colorado this year. Don't worry about the hunt talkers I've offerd advice to in private. Don't worry about the hunt talker that I gave grid coordinates to where I hunt elk to give him a place to hunt during his muzzleloader hunt this year. Don't worry about hunt talkers I've offered my own personal gear to to help them in their hunts. Don't worry about those I've answered questions about for antelope and elk hunting spots in private. Just because I don't come on here with a big S on my chest and run out to help every stranger who seeks a handout, doesn't mean I'm not helping people.

Both good points. As I try to become more of a "salt of the earth" kind of guy I like helping people out but John is correct also. There are tons of 2 or 3 post guys on here that came looking for handouts and had no intentions of giving back to Hunttalk. Before I ever went on my first western hunt Cushman gave me advice on hunting in CO and sent me links to the regs and other info.

I stuck around, contributed and eventually teamed up with a few different people on this site, great people I might add and ended up going on my first elk hunt and 2 seperate pronghorn hunts. All of which were succesful in one way or another. I leave in a week to help a fellow hunt talker try to fill a NV mule deer. These hunts would have never happened had I not stuck around and gave a little back instead of using this site for personal gain.

Who knows, maybe you to will become life long hunting partners with your very own hero shots:

redsquirrel.png

This thread and some of the other pissing matches have been quite entertaining though.

The OTC archery hunt in 39 is Nov 10-30. Only a portion of 39 is open. Read the regs and pay very close attention to the specific area open. It's big country, but there are some dandy bucks in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back