Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

I want every butthole on the forum! By butthole i mean opinion.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. Just walked out of my local shop, they had 2 lefty, LA, mag face 700s, one late 90s one early 2000's with J lock, bot (complete guns) were $999.....just stupid.
What model were they? Some models are actually worth more than others.

I about bought a 338 RUM LSS with a j-lock for more than that and it was a steal

What model were they? Some models are actually worth more than others.

I about bought a 338 RUM LSS with a j-lock for more than that and it was a steal
One was a bdl 7rm nothing special. The other, that had the j-lock had potential, 375h&h in what I think is a KS stock, the cheek rest was uniquely small though. Barrel was large than magnum and it had a brake, I believe it was aftermarket but blended perfectly. Also had a sling attachment on the barrel.

Maybe I should get out my blue book and figure out what it is.

One was a bdl 7rm nothing special. The other, that had the j-lock had potential, 375h&h in what I think is a KS stock, the cheek rest was uniquely small though. Barrel was large than magnum and it had a brake, I believe it was aftermarket but blended perfectly. Also had a sling attachment on the barrel.

Maybe I should get out my blue book and figure out what it is.
I believe all the safari rifles went through the custom shop.

I'm gonna get my Dad a left handed bolt action rifle. Only stipulation is it must be wood stock and not a .270 He already has two .270's. He hunts mainly Pennsylvania big timber for deer. Unlimited budget what are you'll buying your Dad?
First, I applaud your decision to get your Dad a rifle. Very cool gift idea.

As an LH shooter, I own two Browning X-Bolts. A 270WSM and more recently, a 6.5CM. Both scoped with Leopold FireDots. Not cheap and yet, didn't break the bank either. I like the guns and would make the same decision again. Both still fit my hunting needs.

Both guns shoot Federal Trophy Copper loads "lights out". Obviously, the 270WSM is being obsoleted by newer bullets, faster twist rates, etc., so that decision would be different today. I'd still be seeking the shorter barrel rifles, but with better twist rates. I want to like the 6.8 Western, but question if it will catch-on. I'd probably look at 6.5 PRC, as desirable factory ammo options seems to be available.

As an LH shooter, I refuse to use an RH bolt gun. There are good options from a few manufacturers, so I will support them. I understand that some manufacturers don't value the LH shooter - that's fine.

Beyond bolt gun options, an LH shooter can look at some very desirable drop/falling block models, too. The Ruger Number 1 is a fine example. So is the Browning 1885. Both guns would cost a bit more that a bolt gun option, but they would be treasures too. They may be harder to find, but some are out there for sale now.

My LH input... let us know what you end up doing, please.

Lots of good stuff in this thread guys. Gave me a lot of ideas to run by my dad in everyday conversation to not tip him off. Hoping to talk him out of bolt action. Mostly because unless my son ends up left handed the gun had nobody to be left to.
That logic should appeal to any grandfather. Hits below the belt a bit but hope it works ... for your son's sake.

Well, if we have to make it complicated, then there are other options.

Beretta BRX1 bolt handles will swap to either side. You'd have to have it restocked to wood on a custom basis. That's where the expense is greatest. They're easiest to get from a Beretta Gallery. $6K would do it with a nice scope included. A suppressor with him added on the trust would probably fit under the budget, but it won't be approved before next season.

The Savage Impulse also exists. Boyd's advertises stocks.

Also, I was under the impression that SAKO dealer's prices were so high because of the safari trip inclusion in the deal. Now, that would be something to rekindle the flame!

Well, if we have to make it complicated, then there are other options.

Beretta BRX1 bolt handles will swap to either side. You'd have to have it restocked to wood on a custom basis. That's where the expense is greatest. They're easiest to get from a Beretta Gallery. $6K would do it with a nice scope included. A suppressor with him added on the trust would probably fit under the budget, but it won't be approved before next season.

The Savage Impulse also exists. Boyd's advertises stocks.

Also, I was under the impression that SAKO dealer's prices were so high because of the safari trip inclusion in the deal. Now, that would be something to rekindle the flame!
Gotta be careful about those gun+safari deals. I checked one out on Gunpost for $12K. The "safari" was three days and included impala, blesbuck, and springbuck. That would be like a guided hunt in US for gopher, raccoon, and coyote. Pfffffft!

Back