Yeti GOBOX Collection

I thought this was interesting

mtmiller

Hunters kill no wolves in Idaho predator derby

Participants in a predator derby in east-central Idaho bagged 30 coyotes over the weekend but did not kill any wolves.

The event, sponsored by the pro-hunting organization Idaho for Wildlife, drew nearly 100 participants and took place Friday to Sunday near Salmon, Idaho, said Steve Alder, the group's director.

Along with wolves and coyotes, hunters could also kill raccoons, skunks, jack rabbits, weasels and starlings. Hunters who harvested the most wolves and the most coyotes could win $1,000 prizes.

A magnitude-4.9 earthquake occurred north of Salmon on Saturday, and aftershocks were felt through Sunday. Alder said the earthquake spooked wildlife and made hunting more difficult.

The event took place on private and Forest Service lands. The Bureau of Land Management issued the group a permit to use BLM lands in November but canceled it following lawsuits from environmental groups and alleged changes to the event by Idaho for Wildlife.

I'll be they would have killed plenty of wolves if it hadn't been for that earthquake.

I'm going to have to keep my eye on the earthquake logs, good excuses are hard to come by.

I don't think they killed any wolves last year with the same event either. I'll have to go back and check if there was any earthquakes last year anywhere in the vicinity.

I might be out of commission for a while as I roll on the floor laughing for the next hour. Just when you thought you've heard it all, along comes something like that.

30 coyotes is more than I thought they would get.

Now that the hunts over, I wonder if that number of coyotes would have been killed by the locals, and now they won't get squat because every dog in the area is educated.:W:

These events also fill the war chests of the anti hunters for use against us at a later date.

Good Job!

That earthquake line is hilarious.

The past few years I have wondered about the Salmon area and wolf populations. Most of those I talk with that live in that area talk about how the hunting has been ruined, and present the image of a wolf behind every tree. I hunt the area frequently and have seen one, and run across tracks occasionally as well as heard howling on a few times
The stats don't play it out though. The Beaverhead region along the divide and SW of Salmon has a quota of 10 tags, this year so far, no kills have been reported in that region. Most years I believe it has been 3 or less. The Salmon region has a quota of 45 and to this point in season 40 remain unfilled.

How much of this is SSS, a lack of hunting pressure specifically on wolves or a reality of not that many wolves in the area?

Add in the fact that two "derbys" have come up empty........

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

I'd be surprised if the SSS happens too much anymore unless it's a herder or rancher that happens to be out and about, I would think for the price of the tag people would shoot them and at least sell the hide to make some money.

The past few years I have wondered about the Salmon area and wolf populations. Most of those I talk with that live in that area talk about how the hunting has been ruined, and present the image of a wolf behind every tree. I hunt the area frequently and have seen one, and run across tracks occasionally as well as heard howling on a few times
The stats don't play it out though. The Beaverhead region along the divide and SW of Salmon has a quota of 10 tags, this year so far, no kills have been reported in that region. Most years I believe it has been 3 or less. The Salmon region has a quota of 45 and to this point in season 40 remain unfilled.

How much of this is SSS, a lack of hunting pressure specifically on wolves or a reality of not that many wolves in the area?

Now don't be providing these kind of facts. They mess up people's opinions. :rolleyes:

According to IDFG website 78 wolves have been killed in the Salmon zone since 2011.

37 were killed in 2011-2012
24 were killed in 2012-2013
17 were killed in 2013-2014 (12 were hunted / 5 were trapped)
5 killed so far in 2014-2015 (Bear in mind most kills take place in late winter).

I wouldn't say that 78 wolves in an insignificant number. Harvest is not necessarily a good indication of population. Wolves are definitely getting educated and trap smart as well.There is some rugged country in that zone that is not very accessible in winter when wolf trapping and hunting is prime.

More info on harvest here.

Point taken, and it seems there are more reports, etc. west of Salmon. Challis, Copper Basin, etc., I know they have their share. I spend most of my time in the Beaverhead and it seems they are pretty scarce and the numbers appear to back up that observation. I have a place about 7 miles from the SW corner of Yellowstone, and they can be pretty thick up that way. Just had a patient leave my office that lives in Leadore and says there are significantly more wolves in unit 29 than 30/30a. Plenty of game and habitat in the Beaverhead........maybe they just prefer the Montana side of the hills.

I was going to post what an awesome success this hunt was... for the anti-hunting NGOs in need of donations. It even got my mother all wound up. HSUS called it a "wolf massacre." Defenders had similar rhetoric before the tourney. Now they will probably press release about their great success in saving the lives of wolves so keep sending the money.

Interesting read from Newsweek: http://www.newsweek.com/wolf-popula...ersial-idaho-hunting-contest-296780?piano_t=1
“Nobody even saw a track. We had fresh snow, and we were just in shock,” Alder said. “No sightings, no tracks.”

Someone ought to write a letter to the Salmon paper and tell the participants to send checks directly to HSUS and DOW if they are going to be so incompetent at killing wolves.

I live in North Fork, just 17 miles north of salmon. I haven't participated in either wolf derby, but i dont need an incentive to go out and save a few elk. The earthquake didn't affect the animals at all, as i had no problem killing a few coyotes. I also agree with one of the above comments, about alot more educated animals. I have killed my fair share of wolves in this area, and know that they dont come if you are sitting in the truck, you have to get out and hike!! I killed my first wolf at the age of 15 less than a mile from my house, and am now 17. I usually get into the wolves about 3.5-4 miles away from any roads. The country here is steep and rugged, and sometimes, even though you see a pack of wolves, it is litterally impossible to get to them. Once again, wolf hunting is my favorite hunting of all time and i hunt friday through sunday every weekend! Thanks Tyler:cool:

I live in North Fork, just 17 miles north of salmon. I haven't participated in either wolf derby, but i dont need an incentive to go out and save a few elk. The earthquake didn't affect the animals at all, as i had no problem killing a few coyotes. I also agree with one of the above comments, about alot more educated animals. I have killed my fair share of wolves in this area, and know that they dont come if you are sitting in the truck, you have to get out and hike!! I killed my first wolf at the age of 15 less than a mile from my house, and am now 17. I usually get into the wolves about 3.5-4 miles away from any roads. The country here is steep and rugged, and sometimes, even though you see a pack of wolves, it is litterally impossible to get to them. Once again, wolf hunting is my favorite hunting of all time and i hunt friday through sunday every weekend! Thanks Tyler:cool:

Welcome to the forum. Like you, I don't need some artificial motivation to get out hunting wolves. Hope you find many more of them in your travels.

Good first post young man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back