Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I hate little geese

Nemont

We are covered up with lesser Canada geese right now. Many they are like hunting snow geese with flocks of 400 to 600. Difficult to decoy but we ended up getting a few on Saturday.
PB200326.jpg

PB200325.jpg

Nemont

Mike,
It would be nice to have a few more of those big honkers around. These little short neck bastards fly in flocks that are just too big. In a few more days the big boys will be arriving.

Nemont

Last edited:
You're not the first man to have squeakers give you fits. Not only do they come in giant groups, they always seem to have the tendency to want to circle a dozen times before swinging just close enough for a volley. I can remember very few times where we've had squeaks commit suicide into the dekes.

I've yet to get out this year but hope to rectify that on Friday.

Still looks like a good time. What do you do with the meat?

The breasts are in a brine in the fridge. Tonight they will go into the smoker for 4 hours, using a mix of apple wood and hickory. The last 1/2 hour of smoking they will be brushed with some kind of glaze. Maybe Jalapeno jelly or mint jelly or something like that. Sometimes I mix a 1/2 cup of soy or terriyaki sauce with a 1/2 cup of honey and brush on. These usually don't last long.

and the legs and thighs get frozen until I get a bunch then they get pressure cooked until the meat can be shredded. Then it is used in many different recipes.

Nemont

I used to love the cacklers, especially at the end of the season when you've eaten enough goose that you're sure if you talk, you're gonna honk. Glad you got into them, and for the record for eating, I've been using a recipe for corned beef, and just substitute goose. Damn I love me some reuben samiches.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back