Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hyalite Canyon

Rob Allen

So I live in Bozeman.. I get off work at 3:30pm most days and I am wondering if driving up Hyalite canyon and taking a hike with my rifle for a couple hours each evening would be worth the effort? Was up there fishing today and saw lots of tracks so it seems to me there is a chance, maybe not a good chance but a chance none the less. total waste of time ?or just a probable waste of time?

One snowy late October evening my wife and I drove up Hyalite to take a hike up the closed Lightning Creek road for a couple of miles. We heard an elk bugle and as I just happened to have a cow call with me, I answered. We played hide-n-seek with him for a half hour, seeing him standing on the road twice. Unfortunately all I had was the cow call, so when he saw us he moved on. I think it's as good a place as any that close for an armed hike.

I've seen a cow on the road before up there during the winter. Its a matter of finding a spot to start hiking from that doesn't have other people. I drove up there Saturday before the Cat game and went quite a ways. It was time to make it back to Bzm about the time I started hitting a little snow and mud. Lots of people. Especially early on past the cattle guard. Every turnout had people parked there. I'm assuming they were hunting.

I am off that early as well. So I feel the struggle of limited time before dark but wanting to do something so it has to be close. Tons of trailheads around here, but not so much for roads to get up into the mtns. close by. And If you pick a trailhead, by the time you take a hike to where you might want to start hunting, its probably about time to turn around.

'Depends on where you work / live ... and whether or not you have to endure that long, stressful drive across Bozeman.

That is true for sure.

19th Ave sucks axx. I lived in Bozo in the early to mid-90's and it certainly didn't look like it does now.

Hell, the 19th interchange didn't even exist when I first lived there. So what I'm telling you is I'm really old...... :)

Avoid Hyalite as much as you can! No one in their right mind should hunt that area.

I may be saying this sarcastically and be out there tonight.

I haven't been able to go out during the rifle season yet due to building a home and moving my family. Hyalite is right out my back door and I know it very well. I thought I'd slip out last night to a meadow that can sometimes be pretty good. As I got there about a half an hour before dark I worked my way along the edges staying in the timber glassing out into it It's about the size of seven football fields so it's pretty decent. As I made my way around the edge to look up in an upper corner lo and behold I see a giant pumpkin standing out in the middle. The man is glassing into the timber. I thought to myself this guy has no idea what he's doing. Well there went that evening hunt. I hate rifle season up hyalite. It's miserable

Hell, the 19th interchange didn't even exist when I first lived there. So what I'm telling you is I'm really old......
You are old ... but wait ... the Interstate was not even in Bozeman when I first lived there ... just a bit after dirt was invented! But Hyalite Road was not paved then and the hunting & fishing was much more quiet, not so many pumpkins running around shooting trees with their AR-15's.

Back in 1995 I bugled in a few bulls during archery and missed a six point bull on opening day of rifle up Lick Creek. I can't even imagine how much has changed up there since then.

Yes....or any of the other drainages you can access. I killed a bull every yr on public the 5yrs I lived in Bozo and could see the lights from town on every one. I left in 2000, towns changed a bit, but I bet the elk are still in the hills.

Yes....or any of the other drainages you can access. I killed a bull every yr on public the 5yrs I lived in Bozo and could see the lights from town on every one. I left in 2000, towns changed a bit, but I bet the elk are still in the hills.

What he said. There's elk in them hills. Get off the trail and it's a lot better. In more recent times (like yesterday) I took a buddy out and he killed a bull, 25 minute drive out of town.

went this afternoon didn't see anything but LOTS of tracks and trails.. However one thing i think i noticed is that the trails went straight up and down the mountain not much meandering. It looks to me like there are lots of elk in the area i was in but that they move through it often but don't spend a lot of time there.. just my noob observation maybe right maybe wrong..

Back