Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting Packs

TNTBurton

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a new pack and am considering a Kuiu Ultra pack. Has anyone tested them in the field? More specifically, tested them in hauling out elk or deer? The specs look great but haven't seen a lot for in field use. If anyone has a recommendation on another pack, I am all ears. I hunt elk,deer, and antelope and usually put on quite a few miles to get away from other hunters. Looking for something I can take in light but has the capability of being able to transition into a solid meat hauler.

I switched to the Kuiu Icon pro series last year and love it! Got it mid season so I was only able to pack out one mule deer buck with it all in one load but it performed flawlessly and the bags themselves are high quality. Great zippers, lots of storage that is easy to access, and tough material. It will haul meat all day long no problem. Very lightweight, strong bags and system.

I've no input on the Kuiu since ive never used one.

Check out Exo mountain packs. Steve is a great dude and will help you out long after the sale. I've dealt with steve on a couple occasions and he has always taken the time to set me straight.

https://exomountaingear.com/

That's probably a great choice. I had the icon, which I think is built on the same frame and loved it. I have packed out, and I've been on hunts where others packed out very heavy loads with kuiu packs. Just last season alone, I seen my uncle pack out 93 pounds of camp and mountain goat, around 110 pounds of a bull elk, half of a deboned young cow elk- 125 lbs, and my old one which I sold to my buddy pack out both of our camping stuff, which was about 80 pounds, while I packed an animal on my SG. When I had it, I packed out an entire Whitetail buck deboned. Not sure what that weighed. I have seen negative reviews of people having problems with the carbon frame, But have never witnessed it myself. Mine actually got away from me with about 45 pounds in it and took a big tumble, ass over teakettle for about 1000 feet, and not a thing broke. I always thought that the waistband was extremely comfortable, and customer service very good. I haven't checked on the packs, but a whole bunch of stuff is 25% off right now.

I currently have a stone glacier and absolutely love it. The owner is a great guy, and they make amazing products. They are considerably more expensive though.

Lots of people will probably recommend kifaru or mystery ranch. I'm sure you can't go wrong there either.

For the money, I cannot think of a pack that is even in the same league as Kuiu for under $400.

Last edited:
That's probably a great choice. I had the icon, which I think is built on the same frame and loved it. I have packed out, and I've been on hunts where others packed out very heavy loads with kuiu packs. Just last season alone, I seen my uncle pack out 93 pounds of camp and mountain goat, around 110 pounds of a bull elk, half of a deboned young cow elk- 125 lbs, and my old one which I sold to my buddy pack out both of our camping stuff, which was about 80 pounds, while I packed an animal on my SG. When I had it, I packed out an entire Whitetail buck deboned. Not sure what that weighed. I have seen negative reviews of people having problems with the carbon frame, But have never witnessed it myself. Mine actually got away from me with about 45 pounds in it and took a big tumble, ass over teakettle for about 1000 feet, and not a thing broke. I always thought that the waistband was extremely comfortable, and customer service very good. I haven't checked on the packs, but a whole bunch of stuff is 25% off right now.

I currently have a stone glacier and absolutely love it. The owner is a great guy, and they make amazing products. They are considerably more expensive though.

Lots of people will probably recommend kifaru or mystery ranch. I'm sure you can't go wrong there either.

For the money, I cannot think of a pack that is even in the same league as Kuiu for under $400.

I'd have to agree with all of this. I personally feel the best packs out there are Stone Glacier, Kifaru, and MR. But with a Kuiu pack being considerably cheaper I can't fault someone at all for going that route. I have also heard good things about Exo packs, I just haven't been able to see one in person yet.

The ultra6000 is on sale for 262.48
If I was shopping, I'd be buying.

I have the Kuiu Ultra frame with all three bags to go with it. As stated above in some posts, this is a great pack, comfy & very light weight, and the sale Kuiu has going on right now is a great price bang for your buck. I had a MR Metcalf prior to my Kuiu, I switched solely for weight purposes & multi bag switchable, not the least bit sorry I did either. Although the MRs are a fantastic pack, you can't go wrong owning one of those either.

I bought a stone glacier last year and packed a boned out antelope and a entire boned out mule deer. It performed awsome better than any other pack I've used. Being able to adjust it to fit your torso is great I packed my deer about two miles and wasn't even sore the next day. A pack that doesn't fit will tear you up.

I appreciate the feed back and thanks for the heads up on the sale! I will look into some of these other packs as well.

Apparently it's a great time to be pack shopping.

I pulled the trigger on the metcalf they had on camofire. Then I saw the Kuiu sale today and I am contemplating going that route instead, I could have 1 frame and 3 packs for it for not much more money than the nice frame and metcalf.

I picked up an ultra 1800 last year just to give it a try and found I enjoyed hunting with it more than my MR Longbow. Through the course of the year, I hauled 8 elk quarters and an entire boned out WT buck. The heaviest load was an elk hind quarter plus straps and loins that I estimated was right about 100#. I don't think anything is real comfortable with 100 pounds but this little 3 pound pack handled it just fine. My only thought is, I'd buy the 3000 since the weight difference from the 1800 is only a couple ounces and the 3000 compresses down well.

I've no input on the Kuiu since ive never used one.

Check out Exo mountain packs. Steve is a great dude and will help you out long after the sale. I've dealt with steve on a couple occasions and he has always taken the time to set me straight.

https://exomountaingear.com/

Same for me on the KUIU (no input), I bought a EXO 3500 a couple of weeks ago. I think I'm going to really like it, has some great features..

Be Safe,

Same for me on the KUIU (no input), I bought a EXO 3500 a couple of weeks ago. I think I'm going to really like it, has some great features..

Be Safe,

I used the 5500 last year. Lived out of it for roughly 20 days total in all kinds of weather. Nothing but praise for it so far.

I switched to the Kuiu Icon pro series last year and love it! Got it mid season so I was only able to pack out one mule deer buck with it all in one load but it performed flawlessly and the bags themselves are high quality. Great zippers, lots of storage that is easy to access, and tough material. It will haul meat all day long no problem. Very lightweight, strong bags and system.

Same here. I got the icon pro 3200 last year. Comfortable, light and roomy. I packed out mule deer and antelope with it and have no complaints

I really like the look of the icon pro 1850 and at $280 on sale it is mighty tempting. I like the look of the Exo too but kinda wanna see what Im getting before I pull the trigger. Not really an option with either where I live.

The Exo Mountain Gear 3500 I have is simultaneously smaller than it appears and larger than it appears. It's really well designed and was stupidly comfortable packing out two quartered antelope at once back in Oct. I really like the pockets they designed on it, especially the stretchy one. If I had to give one criticism about it I'd say that, at least with my waist size, there's not a lot of slack left in the waist belt to secure holsters and other accessories, but I need to drop a few pounds anyway.

If you are going to go with a KUIU pack make sure you get the pro version. The material the Ultra is made out of is VERY noisy when it is cold out and the belt is not near as good as the PRO belt. I have packed several animals with both and much prefer the PRO version. I still use the Ultra on summer time fishing/backpacking trips, it just doesn't carry weight as well and is very loud when cold.

Back