Hunting a Roaded Area without "Road Hunting"

2rocky

It seems silly, but I'm looking at all the roads on my antelope area, and I know there are going to be lots of guys cruising around on side by sides and ATV's. I'm going to be driving my long bed crew cab so I won't have the mobility those guys will.

Seems like the main springs all have roads leading right to them.

Hard to imagine much of this country has anywhere there isn't a road.

So my question is two pronged...

How do I stay mobile, but get away from the crowds, especially with a very limited water?.

What features on my maps should I look for to check out?

I'm thinking Rocky Flats like this where the wheelers won't want to go?

936075_10204195312791711_1853583394052471684_n.jpg

Any old lake basins (ie greasewood, shadscale, winterfat flats) in the area? There should be as you're in the Great Basin... ;) If so, I'd be sure to find places between those and some water.

IME with pronghorn, in areas with lots of pressure they seem to like to find the flattest, most open country they can find, enabling them to see danger from a long, long ways. If possible, I'd try to find some broken country on the edges of these flats to sneak around in and keep an eye on the ones in the open.

In heavily hunted areas I've always had good luck getting into a spot where I can see a lot of country and just being patient while watching the hunters and animals move around the area.

In heavily pressured areas I have had my best luck finding a good view point and letting all the other hunters do the "bird dogging." Only a matter of time before a herd will be coming on by ya.

Have you been there before? I usually hunt out of cody and even there I see very few people. I hunted a Monday and never saw a rig on the main road all day. Shot a doe out of a herd that was laying right in the middle of it. The only guys I've seen off the road have never gone more than 200 yards.

Find a relatively high spot and watch the show. After a little bit you'll be able to figure out where the herds are going when pressured. Use that info to set up an ambush.

Where I hunt you can avoid crowds by skipping the Opening Day circus. I bet more than 75 percent of pronghorn are shot opening day. They are more skittish after that, but IMO it's more fun to hunt without the clowns.

I usually go to an area that ive hunted and seer deer in the past and look for people then i figure the way they are headed and circle wide to get in front of them then wait. Most of the time they spook something into my direction.

As mentioned earlier, if it's a fairly long season...the longer you wait the fewer hunters you will likely encounter. If you are looking for a whopper buck I'd suggest covering lots of country. Most pressured antelope will run over ridges until they have no hunting pressure. This is likely out of view of roads. I often hike to high spots where I can see lots of country....continue on to the next high spot. It's important to have good glass for spotting, judging, and cutting through heat waves. You will likely find that it's impossible to judge unless super close range (400 yards) with heat waves....which is a chore on early season hunts.

There are no places where hunters on ATVs won't go, or try to go. There is nothing wrong with letting your vehicle do the walking on roads, glassing, finding an animal you like, then getting out and making a stalk. Otherwise, you are going to be a very tired hunter and not look at very many pronghorn.
When they are rutting pronghorn are territorial, and a herd that is spooked will often make a big circle of a couple of miles and come right back to a location nearby, so don't presume they have left if they spook. You can always come back and find them nearby later. I have had the best luck avoiding other hunters in broken country or any higher elevation habitat, with ridges pronghorn can step over and disappear, but I drive up there. I have not hunted opening day for thirty years, to avoid constant interference from other hunters, but where licenses have been severely reduced, that may not be a problem this year.

Like the other posters said the best thing you can do is lots of glassing. Though I have seen guys on atv's
spot an animal through binos then take off across the desert after them since it's usually pretty flat out
there.

If you see a nice buck close to the road don't stop the truck. If he has been shot at before he knows what it means when the truck stops. Just cruise on by and get out of sight or several hundered yards away and plan your stalk. I think they believe if they stand still you won't see them 50 yards off the road.

They usually are up high in that area they come down for a drink then head back up high. Glass high cheet grass.

If you see a nice buck close to the road don't stop the truck. If he has been shot at before he knows what it means when the truck stops. Just cruise on by and get out of sight or several hundered yards away and plan your stalk. I think they believe if they stand still you won't see them 50 yards off the road.

+1 Great advice always. Pronghorn hunting 101!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back