Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunters Livid Over Apparent ‘Thrill Killing’ Of Wyoming Elk Left To Rot

WyoDoug

Counterpoint
The elk are more than likely on ranches that want to charge an arm and leg to hunt. I find it hard to feel sorry for ranchers that don't want hunting on their land then complain when the elk know it is a safe place. It is their land, they can do what they want to but when they create the situation then complain about it. I have a hard time to feel sorry for them.

I met a rancher while I was visiting Chugwater that said to call him if I wanted to take just a cow. His response when I called "I get $2000 trespass for for every hunter I allow". I am a public land hunter and figure I just might hunt the fringes of his land on BLM land and not have to pay a fee then send him a picture. This guy advertised that he wanted to have some cows harvested off his ranch but he does not mention the fee up front. He does talk damage elk doing to his property.

Counterpoint
Key points from the article:

The proposed elk-eaten grass reimbursement wouldn’t be limited to private property.

“I’m including leased state lands,” Magagna told the committee.

The reason, he explained, is that grazing leases on state lands are based on the estimated amount of forage available — not the number of livestock.

“If the elk are taking that forage,” Magagna said, “you’re suffering the same loss there as you are on your private land.”

I met a rancher while I was visiting Chugwater that said to call him if I wanted to take just a cow. His response when I called "I get $2000 trespass for for every hunter I allow". I am a public land hunter and figure I just might hunt the fringes of his land on BLM land and not have to pay a fee then send him a picture. This guy advertised that he wanted to have some cows harvested off his ranch but he does not mention the fee up front. He does talk damage elk doing to his property.
Had the same conversation with a rancher near Thermopolis that was referred to me by the local biologist. Biologist had relayed that he had been complaining incessantly about elk damage.

Turns out he wanted $3000 for 2 people for 2 days of access to hunt cows.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back