MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunter Orange

Thanks. Hopefully you were able to retain one of his guns. They get the job done.

That BAR is the only rifle I own. My grandpa gave me $150 towards the purchase as a one-time special birthday gift when I turned 12 - hunting age at the time. I came up with the other $500 pushing a lawn mower around the neighborhood. The purchase was primarily driven by the fact that I was too short at the time to effectively work a bolt. I picked the 7mm mag out of the ballistics table as an 11 year old because it shot flat and hit relatively hard. Went with open sights for a few years until I felt the open sights cost me my first buck. Then I directed some more hard earned mower money to the VX-II purchase. The sound of the action closing on that gun is one of my favorite sounds on the planet. Nothing says it’s time to hunt like the sound of chambering a round in that gun.

You know, I’m really not sure what happened to the two he had. Both 30-06s. It’s all good. I did end up with a Winchester M94 from him.

I bought my father a BAR in .270 after I got my first full time job out of high school. After he passed, I gave it to my brother - the real deer hunter in the family.

9811B55B-4465-4FB2-B82D-7DBB17D01646.jpeg
Mistake in that second post - it was an extra $419.99+tax I had to come up with.

Just checked on pricing - looks like the price has just about doubled in the 27 years since I bought mine. A 2.6% inflation rate.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back