Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunt opening week or wait?

uster19

So our initial plan was to get to Wyoming Unit 16 the day before opening to scout and then hunt the first week. Now I am second guessing that idea because all I am picturing is a sea of orange. We are planning on doing quite a bit of hiking and have some areas planned which are roughly 5-6 miles from public roads but I am still fearing there will be a lot of people. But then I have the fear that if we go the second week all the animals will be pushed onto private land and will inaccessible (which is what happens here in IL during gun season). Any experience or thoughts on this?

First if you are antelope hunting and you go 5-6 miles from roads you won't see anyone. Second antelope tend to get pretty tuned up after opening weekend and stalks are much more difficult. As randy says in almost all his episodes about about antelope hunting, really any hunting, a couple days of extra scouting are worth more than an extra couple days of hunting. If I was you I would try to get in on Thursday night, scout all day Friday and pick out your goat, try and put him to bed and then be right there at first light opening day. I'm sure there are lots of ways to get it done but this has always been my strategy for high pressure units and it's worked out for me well so far.

I have not hunted 16 and am not a veteran antelope hunter, but if you are planning to hunt that far from the road I doubt you will see that many hunters no matter when you go. We have always went one week after the opener and still found animals on public land and only see 6-10 hunters all day and 90% of those are in their trucks. Not to say they weren't hiking deep somewhere else before or after we see them, but the traffic diminishes greatly. I just avoid the opener for safety's sake and craziness sake for my kids.

I wrestle with the same question.

I feel that opening day will be crazy, BUT... if you are away from the roads, perhaps it's not a huge issue.

Maybe a week or so in, will be fewer people, but do I run the risk of the goats being so skittish, you won't be able to get within 500 yards.

IMO - if I want to kill a big buck, above all else, I will be there for the opener. That said, I rarely do this. Hunting after the big bang is much more enjoyable and there are still tons of stalks to be made.

If your area really is inaccessible it should suck up extra goats once the shooting starts.

Maybe a week or so in, will be fewer people, but do I run the risk of the goats being so skittish, you won't be able to get within 500 yards.

Topography is everything! With wrinkles it doesn't matter. Flat as a pancake gets tougher, but we still manage 100% success in these conditions by hunting smart. Antelope tend to just run from spot to spot to spot in a circle. If they were there they will be back soon.

I don't think you'll have a problem getting close to antelope given the terrain in 16. I'd wait until it is less crowded. It seems like everyone and their brother is talking about hiking way back in 16 this year.

16 is only a 2 week season and all the tags are sold. The talk for several years has been to go after the 1st week so that's no longer an advantage. Not many are capable of or willing to hike 5 miles in. Go early.

If you walk in a mile you'll be good. 5-6 miles seems unnecessary but you will sure'y be alone. I've never seen an antelope hunter walk that far nor have we ever had to. I've always hunted the second week but there's pros and cons to either choice.

Slight clarification if it matters - type 1 license is the first 2 weeks, type 6 is Oct 1-31. I plan on going the 3rd week for doe only. I prefer to wait until the first week is passed. Illl take a skittish antelope over the orange army any day. That said, to echo what others have mentioned, you don't need to get 5-6 miles from a road to be alone! If you go a mile, you will have passed most, if not all others.

It seems like everyone and their brother is talking about hiking way back in 16 this year.

No chit! ... I think Wy fish and game should just set up a tram system like the amusement parks do. Shuttle all us idiots 8 miles in and drop us off! :mad:

Hunted antelope for more than 25 years.Never had to hike in more than a couple of miles at the most. I much prefer the last half of the season,hardly ever seen another hunter or two.Little cooler weather,I hate hunting in hot weather. Much more enjoyable.

Slight clarification if it matters - type 1 license is the first 2 weeks, type 6 is Oct 1-31. I plan on going the 3rd week for doe only. I prefer to wait until the first week is passed. Illl take a skittish antelope over the orange army any day. That said, to echo what others have mentioned, you don't need to get 5-6 miles from a road to be alone! If you go a mile, you will have passed most, if not all others.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of only Type 1. I would go 3rd week also for Type 6 or even 4th. Type 1 with that many tags, limited access and only 2 weeks, I bet it's as busy the 2nd week as the 1st.

First if you are antelope hunting and you go 5-6 miles from roads you won't see anyone. Second antelope tend to get pretty tuned up after opening weekend and stalks are much more difficult. As randy says in almost all his episodes about about antelope hunting, really any hunting, a couple days of extra scouting are worth more than an extra couple days of hunting. If I was you I would try to get in on Thursday night, scout all day Friday and pick out your goat, try and put him to bed and then be right there at first light opening day. I'm sure there are lots of ways to get it done but this has always been my strategy for high pressure units and it's worked out for me well so far.

I agree very much with this advice.

Well it's good to know we probably won't have to hike as far as I was planning to get away from people. Hiking in the 5 miles is easy it is the return trip, hopefully with added weight, that isn't as much fun.

This is a much needed week away so no matter what I know I will have a good time.

I've never hunted your unit, but I've hiked 5 or 6 miles hunting antelope, and have always crossed a road, or some two tracks when walking that far. Even if the two track is off limits to everyone but the landowner, you will still have idiots driving them. If your spot is a legit 5 to 6 miles from the nearest vehicle access, is public, and has good antelope habitat, that's a place you should definitely check out. But drive the roads On your first scouting day scoping out bucks, seeing what's running around out there. After the opener, you can bet on not seeing anyone 6 miles in, just antelope.

If you've got a few days, spend the fun part of your hunt scouting before the season opener, then be in the right spot before daylight on opening morning and pull the trigger when it's legal to do so on the antelope you want.

Even if you'll legitimately be 5-6 miles in, chances are good some other guys will be in there too. I'd be very surprised if some hunters haven't paid an access fee that allows them to cross the private and get onto the public you're targeting.

I'm sure guys have paid up. There are roads all over the unit just not accessible from public land.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back